Crimson Wallops Brandeis, Prepares for Tiger Game

With a comfortable seven-run cushion. Coach Loyal Park experimented with his reserve squad yesterday and they delivered six more tallies as the Harvard nine crushed Brandeis 14-2 at Marcus Field. The win kept the Crimson undefeated in the Greater Boston League with one game left.

Park tried several pinchhitters and reserve fielders, twenty players in all, in preparation for an important contest at Princeton tomorrow. Harvard faces elimination from the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League race if it loses to the Tigers.

Combining for the Brandeis victory, sophomore pitcher J. C. Nickens and Tom Kidwell yielded only four hits and allowed just five balls to leave the infield. Nickens struck out seven batters, four in a row at one point, in his six inning performance.

Balanced Attack

But the highlight of the game was the balanced hitting attack of the entire squad. Sixteen different players reached firs base safely, twelve scored, and ten had run-producing hits. In individual performance, center fielder Neil Hurley had three hits, and sophomore Bill Kelly go on base every time he went to the plate.

Catcher Jack Turco single to open a seventh inning rally that clinched the game for the Crimson. As losing pitcher Rich Cherry doubled down the left field line and scored o a single by Curt Tucker. Consecutive doubles by Pete Varney and John Ignacio gave Harvard an 8-0 lead.

Saba Doubles

With eight of the starting team sitting on the bench, the Crimson reserves turned the game into a rout in the next inning. After four walks and an error by reliever Yuram Milo, Rich Lochsley doubled down the right field line for two tallies. Third baseman Frank Saba followed with another doubles to score Lochsley of Harvard's last run.

Tom Kidwell's control problems allowed the two Brandeis runs. The right-hander walked the first three batters he faced, and escaped with only one run scored thanks to a fine double play. With one on and two out in the ninth, Kidwell walked another three batters in a row to complete the scoring.

Senior Bob Kalinowski will make his first starting appearance on the mound against Princeton on Saturday. Tomorrow's meeting is a must match if the Crimson, 1-2 in the EIBL, hopes to defend its title.

Although they finished in the league cellar last year, Princeton is presently 9-3-1 and must be rated the favorite. In their last two outings, the Tigers' Bob Wolff and Mike Fremuth went the distance in two 2-0 victories over District II champion St. John's and Lafayette.