Varsity Cindermen Win 15 Events In 111-43 Victory Over Princeton

Winning an overwhelming 15 to 18 events, the varsity track team rolled to a surprisingly easy 111-43 victory over Princeton Saturday at Soldier's Field. The triumph raised Harvard's outdoor record to 4-0 in dual meets, with only the May 17 Yale meet separating the Crimson from a perfect season.

Harvards captured the entire slate of field events in Saturday's meet, and dropped only three running events--all of which were sprints, the team's old nemesis.

In the weight events, Charlie Ajootian captured the hammer throw with a 179 ft. 8 in. heave, Dick Benka won his expected shot put victory (56 ft.). Frank Champi turned in a winning 210 ft. 6 in. javelin toss, and Bruce Hedendal outthrew all of his rivals in the discus (157 ft. 11 in.).

Tied Stadium Record

Jim Coleman was the star of the jumping events as he high jumped an excellent 6 ft. 9 in. to tie a Harvard Stadium record. Sophomore Walter Johnson also had an outstanding day, winning the triple jump with a leap of 48 ft. 7 in., his best distance ever.

In the other field events, Pete Lazarus won the pole vault at a height of 14 ft. 6 in., and Bob Galliers captured the long jump with a 23 ft. 1 in. leap.

Junior Royce Shaw edged teammate Keith Colburn in both the mile (4:16.7) and 880-yard runs (1:55.7) to repeat the feat he performed in last week's Greater Boston Championships. In the two-mile run, Harvard's Dave Pottetti beat down the challenge of Princeton indoor record-holder Eamon Downey, winning in 9:13.6.

Crimson hurdlers won four of the six places in their two events Saturday. John Metzger captured the 120-yard high hurdles in 14:9 second, after finishing second behind Ben Lounsbury in the 44-yard intermediate hurdles.

John Gillis led the Crimson sprinters as he won the 440-yard dash in 49.3 seconds, finished second in the 220-yard dash, and led off the victorious mile relay team, which also included Shaw, Colburn, and Tom Downer.