CALLS FOR RESIGNATION

The Mail

Dear President Pusey:

As a loyal and devoted alumnus of Harvard College I am shocked and appalled by your handling of the recent disorders at University Hall. We had all hoped that the lessons of Berkeley and Columbia would be carefully studied by your own wiser and more understanding administration. Surely you and Dean Ford--whom I knew well and admired during my undergraduate years at Lowell House--must have realized that by bringing in the Cambridge Police, bloody violence and mayhem would result, the entire issue would escalate to national proportions and only further radicalization of the hitherto moderate student majority would immediately occur.

How those Cambridge police must have relished the opportunity bash in the heads of all the "rich, commie-faggot" Harvard boys they have hated and lusted after in frustration all these years. How obvious that their unleashed violence and anger would only precipitate unprecedented disruption and destruction of the University. How incredibly foolish of you to cause this to happen.

This was a university matter which could and should have been handled within the College and within the great Harvard traditions of free discourse and necessary innovation. By quickly calling in the Cambridge po- lice with their totally predictable savagery you have shown more mindlessness and violence than the original dissenters themselves. The bitter escalation and permanent scars of this colossal blunder are now your responsibility.

On the handful of occasions when you and I meet not so many years ago, you seemed a well-meaning man, but altogether puzzled and remote when confronted with actual undergraduate flesh. It's now evident that you've completely lost touch with the changing spirit and needs of the University. As one, therefore, who is deeply concerned with the future of Harvard and its role in our society, I call upon you to tender your immediate resignation.  Alan Rinzler '60