Crimson Outsails Big Green For Ivy Regatta Championship

Harvard's varsity sailing team came from behind Sunday at Providence to edge Dartmouth in the final heat for the Mosbacher Trophy and the Ivy League Title.

The championship was the crew's third in the last seven years and made the Crimson the favorite in this weekend's races for the New England Intercollegiate Championships. The meet will be co-hosted by Harvard and Tufts, and the winner of the competition will travel to Seattle for the North American Intercollegiate Title.

At the end of Saturday's heats, the Harvard crew stood in third place with 40 points. Leading the standings was defending champion Yale at 34 points, while Dartmouth trailed the Bulldogs by two.

Narrows the Gap

In light winds Sunday, the Crimson team continually narrowed the gap until, with one race remaining, they were just two points behind Dartmouth and two ahead of Yale.

Harvard beat both crew in the final heat and moved into a tie with the Indians at 49 points, while Yale trailed by one. The tie was broken in the Crimson's favor since Harvard teams had beaten Dartmouth eight times, while the Indians had finished ahead of the Crimson crew only seven times. Harvard also held a 5-3 edge in first place finishes.

The Harvard team included Bob Doyle and Abbott Reeve racing in the "A" division, and Jeff Storer and Joe Worth in the "B" competition. Doyle received individual honors as best skipper in the two-day event.

Raven Regattas

Harvard crews also raced in two Raven Regattas at the Coast Guard Academy last Weekend. In Saturday competition with seven team, Jeff Podnos, James Masters, Rich Schauer. and Doug Allen finished second to the Coast Guard crew.

Returning on Sunday, Podnos, Allen, Phil Anderson, and Boyol Travsky tied Yale for first in the overall standings. But the Crimson crew lost the title to the Bulldogs, because Yale had one more first place finish in individual heats.