FACULTY BETRAYAL

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

As a student of this University, I feel a sense of dismay because of the Faculty's betrayal of the liberal ideas which they preach in their lectures. Where were they Wednesday while students risked their careers here for their ideals? Where were the Faculty Wednesday night when the students were getting their heads busted open?

From listening to Friday's Faculty meeting, it was evident that the only thing coming from them was continued hypocrisy. Could they not have even asked if the six demands were legitimate? There was no spirit of free inquiry while they meekly swallowed Dean Ford's garbage about "Storm Troopers." While they pompously condemned everyone else for the events of this week, they failed to realize that they too shared the guilt.

I suppose it would be too much trouble to ask them to strike with us. No, go back to sleep; we're sorry we awoke you; it was our mistake.

Now that the Faculty is beginning to crawl out from their bomb shelters, they ask us to reason with them once more as a "liberal" community. But somehow their pleas will ever sound the same again. Thomas S. Crane '72