Baseball Team Hopes for Spoiler Role Against Strong Second - Place Cornell

Harvard's varsity nine, once a top contender for this year's Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League title, must accept the role of spoiler tomorrow afternoon in a 2 p.m. game against Cornell at Soldiers Field.

The Crimson dropped their third game in five league starts last Tuesday when they lost to Brown in the ninth inning, 8-7. Coach Loyal Park continually had predicted that any team with only two losses could take the championship but the third blow was fatal.

Second place Cornell remains undefeated after three contests. Since they are a 1/2 game behind the pace of league-leading Dartmouth, the Big Red obviously will enter the game knowing they must win if they hope to stay close to the Indians.

Early Reverses

Harvard has done very poorly this year in games where they have been rated the favorite. The Crimson was upset early in the season by Holy Cross, and then was walloped by Penn and Army, two teams wallowing at the bottom of the EIBL.

Harvard has played its best games in those contests where it was the under dog. They beat Boston University (12-2) in a crucial Greater Boston League game and handed Springfield College. District I NCAA College Champions, their only defeat of the season. Hopefully the upset trend will continue tomorrow.

Starting pitcher for the Crimson will be right-hander Bob Kalinowski. The senior hurler started his first game of the season last Saturday against Princeton, and he held the Tigers to just six hits as he went the distance for the 3-1 victory.

Low ERA

In seven appearances in relief, Kalinowski has allowed only one earned run. His 0.42 ERA leads the pitching staff, and he has given up just fourteen hits in 21 1/3 innings of work.

Captain John Ignacio's superb performance against Columbia and Army last week put him in the lead of the EIBL batting statistics. With a .667 average, Ignacio has a good chance of winning the Charles H. Blair Bar, symbolic of hitting supremacy in the league.

The senior left fielder has nearly doubled his batting average in the last three weeks. Through eight games he hit a mere .188, but now he is second on the team with 19 hits and third in the standings with a .328 season average overall.

Big Red Jock

Super-star Ed Cott leads the Cornell nine in almost all departments. As a high school player in Buffalo. N.Y., the catcher led his team to an unprecedented three straight undefeated seasons.

Last year Cott was chosen to the All-League first team when he batted .375 and led the league with 11 RBI's. In just two games this season, the Big Red captain has two home runs and six RBI's in five trips to the place.