For the Rest of the Year.

Council decided to call off plans for a $7500,000 garage underneath the Radcliffe Quad. Mrs. Bunting said the Council wanted to see if impending merger with Harvard might suggest some better uses for the money.

Dean Ford returned to full time duty as Dean of the Faculty. He attended a Faculty meeting devoted mainly to normal academic matters. One extraordinary resolution--a definition of "permissible behavior for members of the academic community," proposed by Alex Inkeles and Samuel Huntington--was scheduled for discussion. But Huntington and Inkeles withdrew the motion, saying they would bring it up again at a special Faculty meeting in June.

May 22: The Soc Rel Department tabulated the results of its mail ballot and said that the department had decided to sponsor Soc Rel 148 and 149 again next year. The department voted to set up an "advisory board" of three Faculty members to oversee the course, but it said that the course's teaching staff would choose the members of the advisory board.

The Committee of Fifteen, its disciplinary hearings completed, sent out letters to students who refused to appear for their hearings. The letters listed the offenses charged against the students and offered a chance for student appeal.

The Corporation announced that tuition and board rate would both go up next year, for a total increase in student fees of $460--from $3240 this year to $3700 next year. The University's Food Services director said that inuation and the opening of Mather House were the reasons for the $60 board rise.

May 27: The Committee of Fifteen said that it would have all its punishment recommendations ready in time for a special Faculty meeting on June 9.

The committee investigating Faculty misconduct held its first set of hearings, but none of the three teaching fellows summoned to the hearings ever arrived. Third-five students tried to force their way into the hearing room in Holyoke Center to protest the committee's action.

A group of seniors worked on preliminary plans for a protest at Commencement. Suggested actions included mass walk-outs from Commencement ceremonies, withholding class gifts, and possibly burning diplomas.

May 29: The Corporation's ROTC negotiating committee said that the Pentagon had refused to keep ROTC units on campus on a strictly-extracurricular basis. The committee therefore recommended that Harvard phase out all its ROTC programs by 1971, allowing only those students currently enrolled in ROTC to finish their programs.

In response to a Congressional subpoena, Harvard administrators sent a Senate committee the names of 32 students who were arrested in University Hall and who also receive Federal aid. Senator John McClellan (D-Ark)'s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigation had sent five Harvard deans a list of 175 students arrested in the demonstration. The committee then subpoenaed the deans to say which of the students received Federal money. Harvard administrators denounced the investigation but said that Federal law compelled them to obey.

A student arrested outside University Hall was sentenced to 30 days in jail for allegedly stealing the press badge of a Herald-Traveller reporter.

June

June 1: The Committee of Fifteen said it would notify by June 4 the students it planned to discipline for University Hall offenses. The committee set the early notice date to give the students five days to appeal the decision before the Faculty's June 9 meeting.

Forty seniors said they would burn their diplomas and walk out of Commencement ceremonies to protest Harvard's policies on ROTC and community expansion. The protest leaders predicted that 400 other seniors would join them if the Committee of Fifteen decided to expel any University Hall demonstrators.

The Financial Aid Office announced that it would increase scholarships next year, but not by enough to offset students fee increases. The Office predicted that students would have to spend $510 more to go to Harvard next year--$400 more for tuition, $60 more for board, and $50 only about half the new expenses.