Lindsay, Reuther, Rockefeller, Udall Receive Honorary Degrees

Marianne Moore Is Also Honored

Harvard today awarded honorary degrees to 13 men and one woman, including New York Mayor John V. Lindsay, United Auto Workers President Walter P., Reuther, and David Rockefeller '36, chairman of the board of the Chase Manhattan Bank.

Stewart L. Udall, former Secretary of the Interior, also received an honorary Doctor of Laws, and poetess Marianne C. Moore received a Doctor of Letters.

At its 319th Commencement exercises, the University also honored Jean Rey, a former director of the Common Market and now President of the Commission of the Europe Communities, who received a Doctor of Laws degree; and Eugene C. Patterson, managing editor of the Washington Post, who also received a Doctor of Laws.

Rey and Udall are scheduled to speak at the alumni exercises this afternoon.

Along with Rockefeller, a former president of the Board of Overseers, four other men who have helped govern Harvard received degrees: George P. Baker '25, dean of the Business School, who received a Doctor of Laws; Dr. Robert F. Loeb, a former Harvard Overseer and professor of Medicine at Columbia, who received a Doctor of Science; James B. Fisk, a former Overseer who is now president of the Bell Telephone Laboratories, who also received a Doctor of Science; and A. James Casner, Weld Professor of Law, and Associate Dean of the Faculty of Law, who received a Doctor of Laws.

The University awarded one Doctor of Divinity degree, to Theodore P. Ferris '29, who has been rector of Trinity Church in Boston since 1942.

A biologist and a judge also received degrees. Dr. Hugh E. Huxley, a member of the Scientific Staff of the Medical Research Council, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, at Cambridge University, received a Doctor of Science. Wade H. McCree Jr., who is Judge of the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in Detroit, received a Doctor of Laws.

Lindsay, who is currently running for re-election as Mayor of New York, is the first politician actively running for office to receive a Harvard honorary degree in recent years.

Lindsay graduated from Yale in 1944 and received his law degree there in 1948. He served four terms in Congress before being elected mayor in 1965.

Reuther, who has become a national labor leader after starting as an apprentice tool maker in 1924, has received many honorary degrees but never graduated from college. Before beginning his work in industry, Reuther spent three years at Wayne University.

Reuther has been president of the United Auto Workers since 1946. In 1952, he became president of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), and when the CIO merged with the American Federation of Labor in 1955, Reuther was named president of the CIO division of the AFL-CIO.

Rockefeller has held high positions in educational, cultural, and financial institutions, serving as a life trustee of the University of Chicago and as chairman of the board of New York's Museum of Modern Art. He has been chairman of the board of Chase Manhattan Bank since 1961.

Udall, a graduate of the University of Arizona, became Secretary of the Interior under John F. Kennedy '40 in 1961 and continued as Secretary through the Johnson administration. He has long been noted as a supporter of conservation and anti-pollution efforts, and he is now chairman of the board of The Overview Group, an environmental consulting organization.

Miss Moore won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1951 for her Collected Poems. She has received a host of other awards, including the 1951 National Book Award, the National Book Award, the National Institute of Arts and Letters gold medal, and the gold medal of the Poetry Society of America. Her recent works include The Arctic Ox in 1964 and Tell Me, Tell Me in 1966.

In the early days of the Common Market, Rey was Sectional President for External Relations of the European Economic Community Commission. Since 1967, he has been President of the Combined Executives of the EEC and Euratom.

Patterson, who was, until last year, editor of the Atlanta Constitution under the late Ralph McGill, has served as Vice Chairman of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission in addition to his journalistic work. He won the 1966 Pulitzer Prize for editorial writing.

Baker became dean of the Business School in 1962. Before that, he had a long career in the Harvard faculty, starting as a tutor in the history, government, and economics departments from 1928 through 1936. He was later James J. Hill Professor of Transportation and George Fisher Baker Professor of Administration.

McCree, a black, earned a law degree from Harvard in 1944 after graduating from Fisk University. He has been a trustee of Fisk and has received honorary degrees from Wayne State University and Tuskegee. He became a U.S. Circuit Judge three years ago.

Casner joined the Faculty of Law in 1938 and became associate dean of the school in 1961. When Erwin Griswold resigned as dean to become U.S. Solicitor General, Casner served as acting dean until the school appointed the present dean, Derek C. Bok.

Since receiving his M.D. from Harvard in 1919, Dr. Loeb has been elected to many international medical societies and has been a member of several governmental advisory boards. He was chairman of the medical board of review of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission in 1947 and has been a member of the President's Science Advisory council.

For the 25th time since he became President in 1945, Harry S. Truman failed to receive an honorary degree from Harvard.