Staff Cancels Soc Rel 148

The staff of Soc Rel 148 has decided not to give the radical-oriented course next year.

Jack Stauder, instructor in Social Relations, said that increasing restrictions placed on the course by the Social Relations department and by the Committee on Educational Policy have "made it impossible to teach a satisfactory course."

Stauder--the director of this Spring's radical course, Soc Rel 149--said that the Soc Rel 148 section men reached their decision after considering:

* the CEP's report this week to the Faculty, which said that only people with Corporation appointments could have instructional responsibility;

* the Soc Rel Department's earlier creation of a supervisory committee to oversee the course's progress;

* other departmental regulations, including a requirement that anyone who teaches in the course must promise to obey university codes of conduct, including the guidelines adopted by the Faculty on Monday.

The conduct pledge, Stauder said, "pretty clearly amounts to asking for a loyalty oath."

He also said that the ban on non-Corpora ion appointees would disqualify about three-fourths of the course's sectionmen--"all the undergraduates, the people from outside Harvard, and many of our most committed people."

Neither Dean Ford nor Roger Brown, chairman of the Soc Rel Department, was available last night to comment on the cancellation.

Stauder said that the course sectionmen have met several times in the few weeks to consider such a move. "We decided it was better not to give it at all than to pretend we could give the course under these rules," he said.