Until the April Crisis...

ported to SFAC members that financial aid should be based solely on need and should not be used as a disciplinary tool. The SFAC voted 15-9 to endorse the report and sent it to the Admissions Office as a formal recommendation.

Sectionmen in Soc Rel 149 worked on a reply to Roger Brown's request that the course be dropped from the Soc Rel curriculum. The sectionmen said that Brown's move was part of "a long pattern of opposition to the course," and that shifting Soc Rel 149 to the Gen Ed program "would effectively kill it."

The Law School gave in to a national trend and decided to award its graduates the Doctor of Laws (JD) degree instead of the old Bachelor of Laws (LLB). The change made no difference except in the names themselves, but the school said that so many other schools were giving JD's that students with mere LLB's might be victims of discrimination because they held supposedly inferior degrees. The school made the change retroactive, so all the old LLB's could send in their diplomas and become JD's.

March 12: Responding to one of the black Cliffies' demands, Radcliffe announced the appointment of a black admission officer, Mrs. Doris J. Mitchell.

The Financial Aid Office asked the Faculty to give it more than twice as much money for student scholarships in 1969-770 as it had this year. Dean Peterson said that the increase--from $645,000 to $1.5 million--was necessary because of increased tuition and stepped-up recruiting of black students from poor urban areas.

March 13: Roger Brown said that his Soc Rel department might be able to work out some compromise arrangement with Soc Rel 148 and 149. Brown said the department might sponsor the courses for another year if the course leaders could set up qualification guidelines for course sectionmen and if the department could find the necessary money.

Soc Rel 153 held another troubled meeting at 2 Divinity Ave. Police trooped through the building to investigate a reported bomb threat, but found that the "bomb" was just an alarm clock in a box.

March 14: Army and Navy ROTC units at Harvard said that applications for the ROTC program had fallen to one-third of last year's total. But ROTC commanders said that anti-ROTC agitation was not the reason for the tip. They said that the real cause was the end of grad student's panic about the draft.

The noontime co-ed get-togethers in Lehman Hall seemed doomed when Dudley House Master Thomas Crooks said that interhouse dining at hall had to end. After House members complained of constant overcrowding, Crooks banned all grad students from Lehman during lunch and said that undergraduates could eat there only at their own expense.

Fund drives in Cambridge and New York raised the $20,000 bail needed to get King Collins and three members of his group out of the Charles Street jail.

March 16: The Soc Rel department listened to several proposals for regulating the structure of "unusual" courses, and then postponed any decision on Soc Rel 148 and 149 for at least a week.

March 17: Twenty people, including some Harvard students and some non-student members of King Collins' group, disrupted a lecture in Soc Rel 10. None of disrupters was arrested or ejected from the class.

Students in Soc Rel 148 and 149 collected 1200 signatures on a petition asking that the courses be given next year "without further interference." Several Faculty members in the Soc Rel department said that resolutions to limit the number of sectionmen in the courses would not necessarily lead to cancellation of 148 and 149.

March 18: The SFAC passed a resolution asking that one of its elected members--a student on probation for the Paine Hall sit-in--be permitted to serve and vote on the council.

King Collins led another class disruption, this one of a lecture by Karl W. Deutsch in Government 1b. Students in the class applauded Deutsch's efforts to continue his lecture in spite of the interruption.

March 19: King Collins and four members of his group were convicted on a variety of charges stemming from their disruption of a Soc Rel 153 class. Collins was sentenced to two years in jail for assault and battery; the others got six months to a year plus fines of $20-$50.

March 20: The Financial Aid Office finally announced that nine students on probation for the Paine Hall demonstration would have their scholarships cut by $200-$500, with the cut to be covered by loans. More than 150 students marched on Holyoke Center to protest the decision. They spoke with Dean Peterson, who told them that the scholarship committee was short of money and had to choose between continuing the scholarships for the students on pro and giving the money to needy new students.

James Q. Wilson spoke at an Ed School panel and chided the University for it apathetic response to Wilson's report on Harvard-Cambridge relations.

March 21: The Med School announced that it had accepted 20 black students for its class of 1973 and that it expected nearly all of the 20 to attend. Only one black student was in the class of 72.

John Gardner, former Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, said that he would deliver the 1969 Godkin Lectures on television, switching from the traditional practice of live speeches to Harvard audiences.

March 23: Richard Nixon urged colleges to enforce existing laws for cutting off aid to student protestors, but he said that the Federal government would not intervene to impose order on troubled campuses. Harvard administrators pointed out that no students had ever lost aid because of the Federal provisions, and predicted that Nixon's statement signified no real shift from Johnson administration policies.

March 24: The 19 Cliffies who chose to organize a panel on University issues rather than go on probation for the Paine Hall sit-in held their panel discussion. Although the Radcliffe Judicial Board had asked the girls to talk about University governance, most of the discussion centered on ROTC and whether or not it should stay at Harvard.

The Cambridge City Manager announced he had set up a special task force-- including representatives from Harvard and M.I.T.--to work on solution to the city's shortage of low-income housing.

March 25: President Pusey spoke to a closed meeting of the SFAC, but only after weathering an invasion of 150 students protesting ROTC's continued presence at Harvard. The students left the Winthrop House Common Room after demanding that Pusey get rid of ROTC, and Pusey then told SFAC members about the Corporation's negotiations with the Pentagon and about his own views on the relation between the University and the government.

The Soc Rel department avoided any direct decision on the future of Soc Rel 148 and 149, but it set up guidelines for approving sectionmen for the courses. Under the new plan, all sectionmen would have to be certified by the department's Committee on Undergraduate Instruction.

March 26: The president of Cornell, Dartmouth, and Princeton spoke with Pentagon officials and said that Ivy League schools were eager to work with the Pentagon to keep ROTC units on their campuses.

Henrietta Blueye, finally back in Cambridge after her Hungarian prison term, said that she suffered no physical punishment but that life in Hungary and its prisons was "emotionally terrifying."

March 27: The Law School's committee investigating grade reform said that there was virtually no chance that a pass-fail system could be started by next Fall. Students replied by calling the committee report "insulting, inane, and frivolous."

In the last of his three Godkin Lectures, John Gardner attacked radical dissenters. Because of unrestrained student demonstrations, "protest has become a disorderly game for 12-year-olds," Gardner said.

April

April 6: Charles E. Wyzanski Jr. '27, the Chief Judge of the Federal District Court in Boston, ruled that non-religious conscientious objectors are entitled to the same exemption from military service as CO's who profess a faith in God. Wyzanski's unprecedented ruling came in the case of John H. Sisson '67, who had refused military induction as a non-religious conscientious objector.

Dean Glimp, speaking for the Corporation's special ROTC negotiating committee, denied rumors that the committee would try to circumvent the Faculty's guidelines on ROTC. Glimp said that the rules of negotiations were not yet clear, but that "withdrawal of the [ROTC] units seems to me to be an extremely unlikely outcome."

Wilbur Bender '27, former dean of the College and dean of Admissions, died in Cambridge.

April 7: President Pusey appointed a new assistant to specialize in University relation with local communities. The new assistant, Edward S. Gruson, was scheduled to start work on July 1.

The Masters of three Harvard Houses said they were willing to participate in a co-ed living exchange for next fall. The three Masters--from Winthrop, Adams, and Lowell Houses--said they and a number of student organizations would try to get Corporation approval for the plan.

April 8: At a long nighttime SDS meeting, resolutions calling for immediate occupation of a University building were defeated three times by narrow margins. After the meeting, 300 students marched to President Pusey's house, tacked a list of demands onto his door, and rallied for nearly half an hour in the Yard. The list of demand included abolishing" ROTC, halting Harvard construction in local residential areas, and restoring scholarships to students on probation for the Paine Hall sit-in.

The Faculty met to consider the Wolff committee proposals for reforming the GSAS but adjourned without coming to a decision. The Faculty also briefly considered plans for Harvard-Radcliffe merger.

The Committee on Educational Policy turned down a request by the staff of Soc Sci 125 asking that the grading requirement be removed from the course. CEP spokesmen said that "some measure of comparative performance" was necessary for certification of degrees.

April 9: After a rally in the Yard at noon, about 250 students occupied University Hall and evicted--some times forcibly--the deans who had offices here. At 4 p.m., Dean Ford ordered the Yard closed and told the students inside the hall that if they did not leave in 15 minutes they would face criminal trespass charges. President Pusey met with deans from the various Faculties throughout the afternoon and night but announced no possible action against the demonstrators. Moderate students from the HUC, the HRPC, and the SFAC scheduled a mass meeting to consider a response.

April 10: At 4 a.m., 200 suburban police began massing at Memorial Hall, and at 5 a.m. a total of 400 police marched into the Yard. The police cleared students from the steps of University Hall in four quick club swinging rushes and then marched inside to remove demonstrators from the building. Nearly 200 students were arrested and about 50 were treated for injuries during the action.

At 10 a.m. 2000 students met in Memorial Church and called a three-day strike to protest the use of police. The group sent out a list of demands including dropping criminal charges against arrested demonstrators, keeping police off the campus, holding a binding referendum on ROTC, and restructuring the Corporation. SDS held it sown meeting at night and decided to form separate picket lines.

April 11: At a special meeting, the Faculty voted to drop criminal charges against students arrested in the raid and to elect a special committee to handle discipline and to study the causes and effects of the disruption. The Faculty combined two proposed resolutions and finally passed a statement criticizing both the seizure of the building and the use of police. President Pusey and Dean Ford explained the decision to call police, stressing the importance of files in University Hall and the Administration's feeling that "there was no alternative."

Afro members charged that the Standing Committee on Afro-American Studies has broken an agreement by releasing a "totally inadequate" concentration plan for students majoring in Afro-American Studies. Afro joined the strike and demanded greater student control of the Afro-American Studies department.

April 13: In response to the Afro protest, the Standing Committee on Afro-American Studies drafted an entirely new concentration plan. The old plan required students to combine their major with some other field; the new plan made Afro-American Studies an interdisciplinary major like Social Studies. Afro members said they still wanted greater student power in running the department.

The Corporation held a special meeting and set up a new 68 member advisory body--made up of students, Faculty, and administrators-to consult with President Pusey in the event of future emergencies. The Corporation also issued a statement saying that "acts of violence" could force it to close the University.

April 14: A mass meeting at Soldiers' Field voted to strike for three more days and to support a list of demands slightly different from the SDS list.

The Board of Overseers met for nine hours and gave "unequivocal" support to President Pusey's actions. The Overseas also set up two investigative committees--one to look into immediate cause of the crisis, another to study long-term plans for re-arranging University governance systems.

Afro members demanded that the University dissolve the Standing Committee on Afro-American Studies and replace it with a temporary student-Faculty covering board.

April 15: The Faculty approved a plan for choosing members of the new committee that would handle discipline and study cause of the crisis. The plan said that the committee should have 15 members--nine Faculty members, one Law professor, four undergraduates, and one GSAS student.

In the last hour of its meeting, the Faculty passed the Wilson report on University-community relation and tentatively considered several ROTC resolutions before adjourning.

Informal polls of classrooms during the strike showed that attendance was about on third of normal.

April 16: Dean Ford was taken to the hospital suffering from a minor stroke. President Pusey named Edward S. Mason, Lamont University Professor, acting dean in Ford's absence.

Lawyers for the Corporation said they would formally ask the Cambridge courts to drop criminal charges against demonstrators arrested in University Hall, but court spokesmen said that the trial judge would have power to accept or reject the request. Cambridge officials said they would urge the court not to drop the charges.

Afro members demanded that the Faculty vote on their demands at its next meetings. SDS members voted to boycott elections for student representatives to the new "Committee of Fifteen."

April 17: The Faculty passed a resolution limiting ROTC's privileges to the same level as those of any other extra-curricular organization. The resolution, proposed by Jerome S. Burner, said that ROTC should have "no special privileges or facilities granted either by contract or informal agreement."

Afro-supported proposals for increasing student power in the Afro-American Studies department came before the Faculty in the last few minutes of it meeting, but confusion about several similar resolutions forced the Faculty to postpone the Afro decision. Before it adjourned, the Faculty voted to support the idea of increasing the students' role in the department. Afro members responded angrily to the postponement and said they would hold "office hours" in University Hall to discuss their demands.

April 18: An hour before a scheduled mass meeting at Soldiers' Field, the Corporation announced that it would faithfully abide by the Faculty's ROTC vote and that it would relocate any tenants evicted by Harvard expansion plans.

The 3500 people at the mass meeting voted to suspend the strike for seven days and then hold a secret ballot on resuming it. The meeting considered a total of five proposal for