Labor Expert Is Coming To Harvard

Arbitrator Simkin To Be Fellow Here

One of the nation's leading experts on arbitration of labor disputes will spend next year at Harvard.

William E. Simkin, 60, who served for eight years as the director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, will come to Harvard as the Meyer Kestnbaum Fellow, and as a Fellow of the Institute of Politics in the John as a Lecturer in Business Administration.

While at the University, he will spend his research time writing about collective bargaining and the mediation process. In his 30 years of labor arbitration and mediation, Simkin has handled some 4000 cases, including issues in virtually every major industry.

Simkin was named director of the Federal Mediation Service by President Kennedy, and served in the post until President Johnson left office last January.

Before his labor arbitration career, he worked in West Virginia training unemployed miners for work in a furniture factory. He received his B.S. degree from Earlham College, and has also studied at Columbia and Pennsylvania.

The Meyer Kestnbaum Fellowship which he will assume is supported by a fund for University activities in the area of industrial relations.