Soccer Team Will Feature New Offense

By Robert W. Gerlach

Varsity soccer coach Bruce Munro has instituted a new offensive formation that promises to field one of the strongest Crimson teams ever. Munro's problem during pre-season has not been finding talent. but "putting it all together on the field."

Loaded with power up the middle. Harvard's soccer team will feature a 4-3-3 offense that will exploit its strength. The unusual set-up. compared to the Crimson's traditional 5-3-2, allows Munro to use two center forwards, a center halfback "feeder," and a center fullback.

Three former center forwards will start on the Harvard line. Junior Pete Bogovich, named All-New England and honorable mention All-Ivy last year, will move from center forward to inside left. Bogovich led the team in goals last year with 16, one shy of the Harvard season record.

Sophomore Charlie Thomas, leading Yardling scorer a year ago with 21 goals, will move from the center to outside left wing, while a third potential center forward, Phil Kydes, will start at right inside. Kydes scored 13 times for the undefeated freshman team. Another sophomore. Russ Bell, and senior Jim sawhill are contending for the right wing spot.

Solomon Gomez, second leading scorer on the Crimson squad last year and a second team All-Ivy selection, will play center half. His responsibility at that position is to feed the ball to the potent front line.

Joining Gomez on the halfback line are Rick Hardy and Chris Ferner. Hardy has an extremely strong right foot and is well suited to the right half position. Sophomore Ferner, a fine tackler and offensive playmaker, will cover the left side.

The 4-3-3 is also specially tailored to Munro's defensive talents. Chris Wilmot played center fullback exclusively in English soccer. Bill Brock and Bob Carey both are returning lettermen at the outside fullback positions. In the goal. Munro will alternate last year's starter Rich Locksley and junior Bill Myers, who allowed only 14 yoals in 110 chances (?s) freshman but was sidelined last year with a torn knee cartilage.

Unfortunately. Munro's starting eleven has yet to practice together. Wilmot and Kydes have just joined the team recently and Bell is still recovering from tonsillitis. Indicative of the strength of the Crimson, Munro has six returning lettermen on the second squad.