New Committee Will Meet Today To Investigate Center Disruption

By James M. Fallows

University administrators have suspended any response to yesterday's Center for International Affairs invasion until a special student-Faculty committee meets today.

Several of the people evicted from the Center looked through student registers yesterday in an attempt to identify members of the invading band.

But Dean May-whose office provided the registers-said that any further action would depend on today's meeting of the new "Committee on Rights and Responsibilities."

The new committee-announced only last Monday and still awaiting formal Faculty approval-is an outgrowth of the old Committee of Fifteen. May said that nine of its members will meet today: three students three Faculty members from the Committee of Fifteen and three members of University Administrative Boards.

The new committee's announced purpose is to consult with administrators during crises and to help decide questions of discipline. But neither May nor one of the committee's members-Alan Heimert '49, Master of Eliot House-would speculate about what specific action the committee might take today.

Both May and Dean Ford said yesterday that they had no idea of how many of the invading group were students. Archie C. Epps, assistant dean of the College, co-ordinated the identification efforts. But he said last night that he had no concrete information to release about the names of those involved or the proportion of students.

"One of the questions I hope the committee will consider tomorrow is what the University's policy should be in cases involving non-students," May said.

Pending the committee's meeting and further identifications, the University has not asked the Cambridge police to enter the case. May admitted the possibility however, that any one of the people reportedly assaulted in the incident could individually file a complaint with the police.

Cambridge Police

A Cambridge police detective said last night that his force was working on the case. He refused to give further details or to say whether anyone had filed a complaint.

The Harvard Undergraduate Council passed a resolution early this morning asking that academic and civil measures be taken against all those invoved in the incident.

Although the intruders took papers off some desks in the Center, officials expressed little fear that any secret or sensitive documents had been lost. Like the University Health Services and other offices worried about their important files, the Center moved many of its documents to top-security safes earlier this year.

Along with the three student members, the six Faculty representatives at today's committee meeting will be: Heimert; James Q. Wilson. professor of Government; Donald G. Anderson, assistant professor of Applied Mathematics; Kenneth M. Deitch '60, assistant professor of Economies; Joel Porte, senior tutor in Quincy House; and James S. Duesenberry, professor of Economies and member of the GSAS administrative board.