Harvard Defeats Navy in Squash

Harvard's powerful squash team, gaining momentum for tough matches with Penn and Princeton in mid-February, rumbled over an undefeated Navy squad, 7-2, at Hemenway Gymnasium Saturday afternoon to stay unbeaten and unchallenged in four contests.

Little Solace

Undefeated in five matches, the Middies had come to Cambridge on the first leg of a trip that was to include a match at Amherst later that evening, but beyond victories at number two and three, found little solace. Crimson captain Larry Terrell ripped Navy's number-one player. Hal Mashburn, in three games, and five of his eight teammates did the same.

Senior John Ince dumped Middie Jim Dunn at number four, junior Ed Atwood disposed of Greg Stiles at five. At six, sophomore Dave Fish blanked Stu McFarland, and sophomore Paul Brown ripped Clay Stiles at nine. All this in three straight matches gave Harvard an in surmountable advantage. And even after senior Fritz Hobbs, who played despite being ill was defeated at number two. Harvard's Jaime Gonzalez shut out Mike Wilson at number seven, and the Crimson was ahead 6-1.

In the meantime, senior Fernando Gonzalez was losing 2-1 to Navy's Bob Custer at two. And, although he rallied to tie at two apiece. Custer broke a 13-13 deadlock in the deciding game, and took the match for the Middies' second, and final, point.

Minutes later, senior Peter Abrams defeated Charles Wood on an upstairs court, and the 7-2 triumph. Harvard's third consecutive victory over Navy, was clinched.

After Exams. . .

But although the Middies came to Harvard unbeaten, they were not nearly as strong as their record might indicate, and the decisiveness of the victory was not quite unexpected. Matches this week with M. I. T, and at Dartmouth will be scarcely more difficult, so Harvard may have to wait until after exams to meet its match. J. L. P.