Lions Rip Fencers, 18-9; Crimson Is Weak at Foil

By Martin R. Garay

In an emotional match. Columbia humbled the varsity fencers, 18-9. Saturday, as the third men for the Crimson failed to with any bouts.

Columbia, supported by 200 fans, crushed the foilers, 8-1, but managed only one bout advantages in the other two weapons, winning both, 3-4.

The Crimson would have made the match much closer, if two of its top performers. John Reitz and Art Weissman, had not stayed in Cambridge. Both were sick and could not go down to New York with the team. They might have won four or more bouts.

In the saber. Larry Cetrulo won three more bouts as he outclassed his Lion opponents. Rick Tolbert won the other saber match. 5-4, but the number three man. Scott Beckett, could not win a bout.

The Crimson received a surprise performance from Micky Irvings. He won all three of his bouts at the epee. Two of them were close, and he won the last bout by three touches.

Paul Vitta provided the other victory at the epee. Richard Bargar, in the third position, failed to win his matches.

In the foil only Phil Rappaport managed to win a bout. The Lions were so strong, in fact, that the other Crimson foilers could get only six touches. Captain Cliff Ruderman got four of those while Gilbert Castle made the other two.

Although the Lions routed the Crimson in the foil, the Ivy League race could still be tight. "We knew that they would be strong in the foil, but they didn't show as much strength at the other weapons, and I believe we could still have a chance to win. Cetrulo said yesterday.

If the varsity thought it met a tough team in the varsity Lions, the Crimson freshmen met a blazing freshman attack. Columbia won, 22-5.