Epps Won't Attend OBU Hearing; Others Invited Still Undecided

By Carol R. Sternhell

Of the four Administration officials invited by OBU to public hearings tonight-Dean May; L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice-president of Harvard; Archibald Cox, Samuel Williston Professor of Law; Achie Epps, assistant? dean of the College-one has refused to come and the others are undecided.

Epps, in a letter sent last night to OBU spokesman Mark D. Smith '72, said that, he would not attend the hearings. "I think it is very wrong for OBU or other groups in the University to continue storming into University Hall as if every single aspect of Harvard policy is decided here," Epps said.

Smith said last night that letters of invitation to the OBU hearing were given yesterday to Epps and Wiggins, and will be delivered this morning to May and Cox, who were not available.

Real Justice

The public hearings, scheduled for 7:30 tonight in Austin Court Room at the Law School, were called Friday by OBU "in an attempt to achieve real justice."

The 36 OBU members charged for their participation in the December 5 and 11 occupations of University Hall have refused to attend the customary closed hearings with the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR), which began yesterday.

"The so-called Committee on Rights and Responsibilities is not impartial," said an OBU press statement released Friday. "If it were, the summonses which students have received would not have told them that they have already been found guilty."

Dean May said yesterday afternoon that he could not say whether he would attend the hearings as he had not received an invitation. He added, however, that he "didn't see how the hearings could be considered" by the CRR in its decision on punishment-expected some time next week.

Wiggins, who said last night that he had received a letter of invitation at 5 p. m. yesterday, said that he had not yet made up his mind whether he would attend the hearings, but that he had a previous engagement.

The letters of invitation offered the Harvard officials "an opportunity to represent the position of Harvard University as it relates to the issues of black employment and black student discipline."

"I am an academic dean and do not think I should try to represent Harvard's position on employment," Epps said in his letter to Smith. "The University policy should be represented by those who have the responsibility to carry it out."

"The hearings of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities at which the deans must appear are fact-finding hearings." Epps continued. "Discipline is decided by the CRR and not by the deans, as you seem to think."

"I do want you to know that I am, of course, very disturbed and worried about the events that have taken place during this controversy." Epps said. "I believe that institutions, such as Harvard, should do all they can to aid the black community."

Smith said last night that he intended to reply today to Epps. "He doesn't have to represent Harvard's position," Smith said, "He can represent his own position-he's been with the University too long."