Undefeated Track Squad Picked To Beat Huskies

By Wilson Dubose

After rolling to two early-season victories, Harvard's unbeaten track team is favored to win its third meet of the season today at Northeastern. Even though the exam schedule has cut into the team's training, coach Bill McCurdy is not overly concerned about the meet.

"I can't say that we won't have any trouble against them, because they're a good team," McCurdy said yesterday. "But if we lose, I think it will have to be considered a major upset."

Crack Runners

As usual, the Crimson will rely on its crack group of distance runners for much more than a modicum of points today. In Keith Colburn and Roy Shaw, Harvard has runners who are capable of sweeping both the mile and 1000-yard runs, as both of them have done in previous meets this season. Colburn performed his feat in the 86-18 romp over Boston University and Shaw scored his victories in the 65-44 win over Army.

In the two-mile run, the Crimson can count on Dave Pottetti and sophomore Mike Koerner to stay in contention. Each has a victory to his credit this year.

The Crimson should also offer serious challenges in the 600-yard run, where Tom Downer and John Gillis have finished in one-two positions in both meets this year. Gillis was also triumphant for the second year in a row in the 500-yard run at the Knights of Columbus meet at Boston Garden Saturday night.

The remaining Crimson bright spot in the running events is Walter Johnson in the 60-yard hurdles race. After placing second in the B. U. meet. Johnson was victorious against Army, setting a track record in the process.

In the field events, junior Ed Nosal can be conted on for a typically high finish in the 35-pound weight throw, as can sophomore Jake Driscoll in the shot put.

Greatest Strength

Harvard's greatest field strength, however, should be in the long jump, where Skip Hare, Bob Galliers; John Avault and Walter Johnson are all threats. Galliers won first place in the B. U. meet, while Hare captured the event against Army.

After placing in his first two meets, Crimson highjumper Jim Coleman will be seeking his first victory today, while freshman Steve Skane will likely provide any excitement that comes from the pole vault.