Runners Win, 72-46, in N.U. Track Meet

The Harvard track team took out its reading period frustrations on a hapless Northeastern squad last night, whipping the Huskies by a score of 72-46.

The Crimson won ten of twelve individual events and the two relay victories that Northeastern scored were practically gifts. Captain Keith Colburn and junior John Gillis. Harvard's best performers to date, put on another fine show for the team and the few spectators, who obviously did not have exams on their minds.

In an awesome display of stamina, Colburn ran and scored in three distance events-the 1000, the mile and the two-mile. He took a first in his specialty, the 1000, in a time of 2:15.3. In the mile, he followed a victorious Roy Shaw, who strode across the finish in an easy 4:14.1. Colburn then teamed with Mike Koerner for a one-two finish in the two-mile run. Sophomore Koerner captured the 22-lap event in 9:12.8.

John Gills, winner of the Knights of Columbus Farrell 500 Saturday night, set a new bubble record in the 440-yard dash. The quarter-mile is usually not run in indoor dual meets, but Gillis took full advantage of his opportunity, leading all the way in 49.4.

Skip Hare, Walter Johnson and John Avault proved that the long jump is Harvard's strongest field event by taking all three places. Hare winning with a jump of 21' 10". Despite the absence of Jim Coleman, the Crimson scored eight points in the high jump with sophomores Ed Baskanskas and Dave Cass finishing first and second, respectively.

Weight-man Ed Nosal flung the 35. pound weight 59' 91/2" and putter Jake Driscoll pitched the shot 50' 1/2' for victories in their events. Harvard's hurdlers and sprinters snatched 16 of a possible 18 tallies in their races, as high hurdler Walter Johnson and 60-yard dash-man Ed Diamond broke the tapes in their sprints.

As usual, the freshman team had a wider margin of victory than their varsity counterparts. The Yardlings swept three events and grabbed nine first places to crush Northeastern. 79-23. Dave Eliot, another K of C star, missed setting a new freshman record by three-tenths of a second in the 1000. His time was a very fast 2:12.4.