Squash Wins 9-0; Green Easy Foe

By Esther Dyson

Harvard's powerful squash team rolled over Dartmouth and into exam break unbeaten yesterday with a resounding 9-0 victory at Hanover, its 29th consecutive triumph over the Green since the series began in 1939.

In the process of winning its sixth straight match, and increasing the possibility of a showdown with unchallenged Penn in mid-February, the Crimson won all but two of the individual contests in three matches, losing games only at the number-one and five spots on the ladder.

Harvard captain Larry Terrell, who is rated the top collegiate singles player, dropped his first game to Dartmouth's fifth-ranked Geoff Scott at the number one slot, then blew him off the court in three straight games.

"Even after I won the first one, I knew I couldn't beat the guy," Scott said, and his teammates found themselves in the same plight.

Seniors Fernando Conzalez and John Ince demolished Indians Justin Stanley and Jim Smith at two and three, each by 3-0 scores, and junior Ed Atwood did the same at four.

Then sophomore Dave Fish lost his second game at number five, bothered by a flurry of good corner shots by Indian Wade Judge but swept the next two quite easily and Harvard had the match clinched.

Then, Jaime Gonzalez won 15-8, 15-7 15-6. at the sixth position and sophomores Paul Brown. Alan Quasha, and Reggie Foster all won in three games at the bottom three positions to complete the team shutout.

Dartmouth's defeat, which lowers its season record to 1-2, was not unexpected at Hanover, but the Indians had hoped that the Scott-Terrell match, at least, would be a close battle. But the ranking system, which considers only players seeded first on their college teams, except in unusual cases, may have been deceptive.

"On a team as talented as ours," a Harvard player said later, "there may have been several guys who could have beaten Scott."