City Is Uncertain Of NASA Future

Cambridge City officials emerged some what encouraged Wednesday from another meeting with Federal officials on the future of NASA's Kendall Square Electronics Research center.

At the White House meeting, President Nixon's science advisor denied reports that he had given up trying to find another government agency to occupy the center, which is to be closed by June 30.

The advisor, Lee Dub ridge, said, "we are vigorously pursuing all avenues to determine whether this talented and ded-icated group of people and this fine facility can be utilized for the solution of other pressing needs of the nation."

One of those present at the White House meeting-Howard W. Emmons, Gordon McKay Professor of Mechanical Engineering-said, however, that Dubridge had offered no indication he would actually be able to find another Federal tenant for the $36 million facility. "There is no optimism or pessimism about finding one at this time," Emmons said yesterday.

Emmons also confirmed reports that several private corporations were interested in the NASA site, but said that Gov. Sargent's Science and Technology Foundation had not discussed any specific plans for a private takeover of the site. Emmons is one of nine members of the group, which Sargent named to aid him in finding alternate uses for the NASA site.

At Wednesday's meeting, City Manager James L, Sullivan and Robert F. Rowland, executive director of the Cambridge Redevelopment Authority, again stressed that Cambridge did not want just any Federal agency to occupy the center, but rather one which offered potential for research contracts, development potential, jobs, and taxes comparable to that of NASA.