Thinclads to Battle For Victories In Highly Competitive BAA Event

Six Harvard individual runners, three leapers, and three relay teams will charge out of exam period and into the thick of competition next Saturday at the Boston Garden when they compete against some of the nation's best runners and field men in the Boston Athletic Association's invitational.

"Because of exams, we have not exactly been overrun with people down at the track this past week, so I will not make any great predictions," said head coach Bill McCurdy.

In fact, only three runners and one relay team can be considered threats. Keith Colburn, Harvard's most consistent runner so far, is hungry for a victory in the 1000 yard after suffering a close defeat in the Knights of Columbus meet last week.

Yardling Dave Elliott, fresh from a remarkably fast win in his last 1000, will vie for honors in the Bill Bingham 880. "Elliott has been doing some sensational things lately, and I rate him as a favorite in the half," said McCurdy.

Either John Gillis or Tom Downer will go in the New England 440. No matter who runs the Crimson should have a man in contention for the quarter.

Downer, Gillis, Ed Dugger, and an unnamed runner will form a mile-relay team that has a chance of grabbing a first.

McCurdy will enter Royce Shaw in the mile, Walter Johnson in the hurdles, and Ed Diamond in the dash, but there is little hope for victory in any of these events.

Shaw has not worked himself into top shape yet. and a high finish is unlikely for him. And in the two short races, the competition will outclass the Crimson entries.

Ed Baskauskas and Jim Coleman will high jump, and freshman Ed Skane will pole-vault. However, a Harvard victory is unlikely in these events, since the competition grossly outclasses the Crimson jumpers.

A freshman mile-relay team and a two mile relay team round out the Harvard entries.