Example of 'Speed Freak' Is Graduate of Harvard

By Jeffrey D. Blum

The After Harvard-What? people have overlooked an apparently lucrative field for Harvard graduates: posing for advertisements that depict the adverse effects of drug use.

One Harvard graduate recently received $150 for appearing in an ad showing the damage caused by using too much speed-methedrine, benzedrine, and dexedrine.

The National Institute of Mental Health sponsored the ad, which appeared in several campus newspapers, including the CRIMSON.

The ad said that the haggard man pictured was a 21-year-old "strungout" on speed. A headline under the picture said, "Happy 21st Birthday, Johnny." The ad stated that the man had started taking speed in pill form and then graduated to shooting methedrine.

'About 35'

"Most people take him for about 35," the ad said.

Theodore T. Daniels '61 was 30 years old when the photograph wastaken a few months ago. An actor living in New York City, Daniels wore make-up for the picture, which was taken by a free-lance photographer for the Grey Advertising Co.

He said he signed a release stating that he knew in what way the picture would be used.

Daniels wrote the CRIMSON a letter thanking the paper for belatedly recognizing his 21st birthday:

"I was touched and proud to find your paper commemorating my twenty-first birthday (issue of November 25, page 8). I guess it just slipped by nine years ago when it happened, and I was a junior. But that's all right, I know how busy you are up there, getting out a paper every day, and all."

Daniels lived in Eliot House and majored in English. He served two years in the army soon after graduation.

He said he has never taken speed in any form although he said he does smoke marijuana occasionally. Daniels added that he is personally against the use of speed.