Commission Proposes New State Drug Laws

A report drafted by a special commission of the Massachusetts State Legislature condemns alcohol as society's most destructive drug and recommends the legalization of marijuana.

The draft proposes that possession and use of under 2 ounces of marijuana be legalized while the manufacture and sale would remain illegal.

State Rep. John Backman, one of the heads of the two-year study said the draft recommends that the laws be changed "in proportion to a drugs danger to the person and society." Backman said, "Anyone who is a drug-dependent person should be treated by the Mental Health Department... not put in jail."

The report redefined the language of drugs into four categories: heroine, cocaine, morphine and other hard drugs would be "Alpha drugs;" alcohol, the most dangerous drug would be the "Beta drug;" Prescription drugs, such as barbiturates and amphetimines, would be "Gamma drugs;" and hallucogens, such as LSD and peyote, would be "Delta drugs," Backman said, "We could probably put marijuana in a class by itself as we in fact do in penal sections."

The report will be voted on next Wednesday by the commission. "I am hopeful that the vote of the commission will be unanimous," Backman said. If approved, the report will be submitted to the legislature which should vote on it during this session."