TWISTED LOGIC

By George SCHIFFER A

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The twisted logic of suspending black students for protesting the University's illegal activities is appalling.

Law has often been used as a shield for lawlessness. Those of us who know and love her are familiar with Harvard's proclivity for using rules, regulations, and public authority, if need be, as a shield for anything from absurdity to outright criminality.

The common strategy in defense of things as they are has become plain. Administrators remain unresponsive to protest against their unlawful conduct until such time as frustration drives the protesters into some trivial "disorder." Then the righteous, with tears in their eyes, call in the head-beaters to preserve law and order and academic freedom.

The transparent nature of this game is emphasized by the implausibility of pitting a highly sophisticated and experienced negotiator such as Professor Cox against students who are propounding the simple demands that the University cease discriminatory employment practices and that the University act to terminate the consequences of past discriminations.

The elementary statistics of the matter are, of course, that a discriminating employer who nominally ends discrimination on a given day will in fact be continuing such discrimination unless he institutes a program of remedial action. What is there to negotiate about Harvard's failure to obey the law? It does not need Professor Cox's wit, knowledge, experience, and intelligence to tell students that the University will forthwith act in accordance with law and its professed ethical principles and will no longer discriminate in employment. Nor are Professor Cox and his talents required to agree with students to an arrangement whereby the effects of discrimination will be promptly eliminated.

Professor Cox would be properly employed by the University in requiring contractors and construction unions to end discrimination and in devising training and administrative schemes to that end.

The best way to avoid demonstrations is to terminate the illegal and unethical practices that call them forth.