Cornell, Harvard Face-off Saturday Night

Cagers Face Tigers, Penn

By Jonathan P

When the Crimson basketball squad travels to Princeton tonight for its second Ivy League contest, individual match-ups could determine the outcome.

The Tigers' main offensive threat is All-Ivy guard Jeff Petrie, and if Date Dover, who held All-East Jim Hayes of B. U. to 18 points, successfully bottles up Petrie, Harvard could top Princeton for the first time since 1966.

Only 5-5 so far this season, the Tigers have stayed close to some of the best teams in the nation, including a 76-75 last second loss to second-ranked UCLA. Petrie, who missed Princeton's first four games because of a back injury, came back to pace his team's 67-60 win over Navy.

However, the Tigers are winless in the Ivy League with a pair of losses to Penn-which the Crimson plays on Saturday night in the Palestra. The Quakers, ranked 18th in the country by one poll, pose one of the most balanced offensive challenges Harvard has faced this winter.

Crimson coach Bob Harrison plans to use on offensive strategy against Princeton that keeps its leading rebounder, 6'7" center John Hummer, away from the boards. Whomever Hummer guards-probably Harvard's 6'8" center, George Yates-will play a wing on the Crimson's post offense.

With Hummer away from the basket on defense, Harvard will try to work the ball into its 'big men,' 6'5" Ernest Hardy and 6'7" Brian Newmark.

Newmark, who paced the Crimson's win over Navy with 25 points and 12 rebounds, may not be at full effectiveness. A preliminary diagnosis indicates that the sophomore forward might have mononucleosis. Newmark will play, but will need requent rest.

Harvard will use a man-to-man defense that sags a little to help out on Hummer. "If we can hold Hummer and Petrie to 20 points apiece, and their other three men to 30 points together, we can beat them," Harrison said yesterday.

Penn, 9-1 with its sole loss against Purdue in the ECAC Holiday Festival, can count on any of its five starters to score-consistently. Its front line-6'8" center Jim Wolf, 6'7" forward Corky Calhoun, and 6'7" Bob Morse-is the tallest in the Ivy League.

By stopping the Red-and-Blue's offensive pattern and by fast breaking constantly to beat the big men down the floor, the Crimson has a remote chance to pull a big upset.