McCarthy: Watch Agnew in 1984

Does Vice President Agnew want to be President in 1976? "I don't think he has enough foresight to look to 1976," Senator Eugene McCarthy said Sunday night in Cambridge. "Maybe he's looking to 1984."

McCarthy was in town at the home of Martin Peretz, assistant professor of Social Studies, to endorse Bert Yaffe, Democratic candidate for Congress in the Tenth District.

McCarthy said he was supporting Yaffe because of his views and work on the war and domestic issues like unemployment, and because of the importance of the House of Representatives-especially now on foreign policy issues.

Yaffe, who was Massachusetts chairman for the October 15th Moratorium last year, was on the Massachusetts steering committee for McCarthy in 1968. He is also vice chairman of Mass PAX (Massachusetts Political Action for Peace), a Cambridge-based group.

The President's peace proposal, McCarthy said, "was certainly more than he's ever done, and more than President Johnson ever did." He remarked that it was not very substantive, however, "even though I hate to discount it because it's the only proposal around."

He said the peace forces in the Senate would continuefighting and that the McGovern-Hatfield Amendment was defeated because "it bit off more" than most Senators were willing to chew.

Speaking of Cambodia, he said, "Some of us call it an 'invasion,' but the President prefers to call it an 'incursion.' Maybe he thinks there's a difference between walking into a country and running into a country."

McCarthy was also asked whether Senator Edward M. Kennedy should be discounted for the Presidency in 1972. He said "No," and quoted Edmund Burke: "In politics, there are an infinite number of variables. Therefore, there are an infinite number of possibilities."