Council Supports Heatless Tenants

By Joyce Heard

The Cambridge City Council redirected city manager John H. Corcoran last night to allocate city funds to put heat into 16 units of unheated housing on Market St., unless a receiver is appointed by the district court today or tomorrow to take action in the matter.

The council last week ordered the city manager to appropriate $7000 or more for the heat but no action was taken because Philip M. Cronin '53, the city solicitor, interpreted the action as an inappropriate diversion of public funds to private property.

The council also voted that if all else fails they will appoint a commission to work with the tenants on this matter.

Mayor Alfred E. Velluc?i said that he would go down to the court personally today to see that this matter is attended to.

If a receiver is appointed the tenants will be directed to pay their rents to him instead of the landlord and he will use the money to install a new heating system.

Action will also take place in district court today to file a complaint against the landlord for violation of the housing code. Such a violation is a criminal offense and the owner, Joseph Zemotel of University Realty, could be sentenced to imprisonment.