Undefeated Ruggers Smash Cornell 14-6

The Harvard rugby team remained undefeated by outplaying previously unbeaten Cornell, 14-6, Saturday.

The Crimson's strong play was characterized by smart kicking and sure ball-carrying. They also showed superior back play with solid and hard tackling.

Cornell was 4-0 going into the game and had already beaten a very strong Pennsylvania squad. Harvard was coming off an 8-3 victory over Boston College, which won the New England tournament last season.

Co-captain Phil Ordway said the game was the "best team effort I've seen since I've been involved with rugby at Harvard We combined good play in both the back and front."

In raising its record to 3-0 the Crimson beat a team which was heavier by 10 1bs. a man. This weight disadvantage hurt Harvard in the serums as Cornell ended with an edge in the number of serums and line-outs won.

The Big Red opened the scoring on a 35-yard field goal. With the score 3-0 near the middle of the first half the Crimson's Jamie Plunkett and Bucky Hayes broke off long runs on a play covering 55 yards before being run out one foot from the goal.

On the next play Jim Siwy took the ball in for Harvard's first try and a 3-3 tie. The two-point conversion failed.

The Crimson went ahead to stay late in the first half on a try set up by co-captain Eric Henrikson's 40-yard run. The score came on a combination run by Hayes and pass to Eddie Banner at the one-yard line who stepped in for a 6-3 Crimson lead.

Banner scored two more tries in the second half. Ordway added a two-point conversion after Banner's score to wrap up Harvard's scoring.

The B-team also defeated Cornell in a fight contest, 5-3, after being down 3-0. On Friday, the C-team came from a 3-0 deficit at the half to drop Wesleyan, 9-3.

This Saturday, the rughy team will be out to avenge last year's sudden-death overtime loss to Dartmonth. The game is in Cambridge.