Indians Overpower Crimson, 37-14

By Robert Decherd

Dartmouth's powerful football machine combined faultless execution with fundamental defense Saturday to drub a daunted Harvard team, 37-14, at Harvard Stadium.

It was coach Bob Blackman's 100th career victory, and it was a fittingly convincing one. The Dartmouth defense limited a sputtering Crimson offense to just one first down until the fourth quarter while the Big Green offense capitalized on Harvard miscues for a 31-0 lead.

Harvard coach John Yovicsin said after the game that the Crimson's weaknesses "are becoming glaring weaknesses." Specifically, he was referring to a pass defense which was easily exploited by Dartmouth quarterback Jim Chasey and an offense which utterly lacked consistency or variation.

After a scoreless first quarter in which the Crimson defense staved off three Dartmouth drives. Chasey and versatile halfback John Short collaborated for two quick scores.

Down and Out

Harvard managed only four yards total offense in the opening period, so quarterback Rod Foster took to the air. On second and ten from the Harvard 38, Foster sent split end Bruce Freeman down, out and down.

Freeman broke into the clear by eight yards at the Dartmouth 40, but Foster overthrew him. It was the closest the Crimson came to a touchdown until the fourth quarter.

Still upset by the bad passes to Freeman, Foster-who had twice punted Harvard out of trouble in the first quarter with 53- and 35-yard efforts-kicked short and out of bounds at midfield.

Two plays later. Short stunned the Crimson defense when he pulled up on a sweep and threw to Bob Brown all alone at the 18. Brown stolled in for the score and Wayne Pirmann added the extra point.

Rich Gatto brought the ensuing kickoff out to the 12, Foster found himself in the hole for the third time in four possessions. A screen pass to Tom Miller put the Crimson at the 33, but Steve Harrison came up short on third and one.

The defense stiffened after another short punt by Foster, then Yovicsin reverted to his 'new quarterback' strategy which proved disastrous against Columbia two weeks earlier.

Try A Bomb

Eric Crone entered the game and immediately tried a bomb to flanker Mike Murr which fell incomplete at the Dartmouth 40.

On third and seven. a pass intended for Miller was intercepted by Indian middle linebacker Wayne Young, who returned it to the Harvard 23.

Chasey hit Short on a pass to the 13 on first down, then Short powered over from the one three plays later to make it 14-0.

The Dartmouth halfback ended the day with 25 carries for 106 yards and a touchdown, six pass receptions for 52 yards and a touchdown, and one pass competition for 49 yards and another score. He even punted once for 35 yards when punter Jay Bennett injured his ankle.

Chasey was no less effective, as he ran the option to perfection, called a flawless game and threw more passes than he has in three years (26), completing 15 for 145 yards and a touchdown.

Meanwhile, Crimson setbacks Steve Harrison and Tom Miller were going absolutely nowhere, but sophomore halfback Ted DeMars picked up 18 yards in the fourth quarter and produced by far the game's prettiest play.

On a second and 22 situation from the Harvard 15. DeMars took a swing pass from Crone and, feinting masterfully, raced 75 yards through the Dartmouth secondary for the Crimson's final score.

Indian halfback Vence Lewis will not soon forget that play. As Lewis tried desperately to catch DeMars at the Dartmouth 23, Crimson flanker Rich Gatto swung back from across field and leveled Lewis with a perfectly-timed block.

Foster played the first two series of the second half, but was again replaced by Crone when Dartmouth went ahead 21-0 following a 34-yard punt from the Harvard ten.

Short carried five consecutive times for 39 yards on that drive, but fullback Stuart Simms got the touchdown on a one-yard plunge.

Crone was unable to move the Crimson offense on his first series of the third quarter, and another short punt led to a 33-yard field goal by Pirmann on the second play of the fourth quarter.

Following the kickoff, Crone put Harvard on the scoreboard with a three-yard pass to Freeman that capped a 76-yard drive-the Crimson's only sustained thrust of the day.

Blackman mercilessly returned his first string to the game and Chasey directed a time-consuming 80-yard scorning drive that culminated in a six-yard pass to Short.

The game ended with Dartmouth on the Harvard 17, trying to maintain the momentum that carries them into next week's game against Yale undefeated, untied and unshaken by a hollow Harvard attempt to upset them.

Dartmouth Harvard

First Downs 22 9

Yards Rushing 175 28

Yards Passing 225 150

Return Yardage 121 20

Passing 19-31-1 9-22-2

Punting 4-38 8-36

Fumbles Lost 1 0

Penalties 8-80 5-77