Mitchell Says Underground Papers Could Face Federal Prosecution

The Federal Government will not hesitate to prosecute underground newspapers if their rhetoricical phrases, such as "off the pigs," or their calls for violent action against policemen have directly contributed to attacks on police, according to Attorney General John Mitchell.

Speaking Friday after a meeting with executive director of the International Association of Police Chiefs, Quinn Tamm, Mitchell noted the First Amendment rights of free speech, and stressed that no action would be taken, "unless we can find a causal connection" between such rhetoric and a specific incident.

No further information was provided on exactly what kinds of incidents would provoke prosecution, or what prosecution might mean.

"Where you have underground newspaper saying things like 'off the pigs', and where individual groups are encouraging attacks, the constant repetition of this dialogue has brought about more attacks on police," Mitchell said.

Harvard Law Professor Vern Countryman yesterday challenged the action, saying it seemed to be in direct violation of First Amendment rights.

In a phone conversation, Countryman said, "It doesn't make any sense. Of course this is just the kind of thing you're going to get from this administration. It has no sense of civil liberties; all they do is ask, who can we throw in jail?' "

"It's mostly a threat, but they always try to back up this kind of thing with some kind of action," he added.