Cross Country Team Expects Win In This Afternoon's GBC Meet

By Bennett H. Beach

It should be business as usual at 3:30 p. m. this afternoon at Franklin Park when Harvard seeks to retain its championship in the Greater Boston cross country meet.

When the GBC series started in 1963, the Crimson had to settle for second place behind Northeastern. But ever since then Harvard has been the winner, and no other team appears to be have improved enough since last Fall to end Harvard's domination of the event.

The individual title is also likely to be won by a Crimson man. Captain Tom Spengler has yet to lose a meet this season, and was an easy winner in the race against Northeastern, the team best able to challenge the Crimson today.

Each team is only allowed to use seven men. Coach Bill McCurdy will enter his top five finishers against Dartmouth- Spengler, Bob Seals, Mark Connolly, John Quirk, Mark Connolly, and Howie Foye. His other two runners will be chosen from Tom New, George Barker, and Jeff Brokaw.

Harvard is at a higher point emotionally now than it has been in the last few weeks. The team won with surprising ease over Dartmouth Friday, and Connolly ran much better in last week's two races than he had previously.

Meanwhile, Harvard's main Ivy opponent, Penn, is having a few problems. It beat an unusually weak Princeton team by only five points, and two of its top five men may miss the Heps next week in New York. Sophomore Frank O'Connor will definitely miss the rest of the season, while Elliot Rodgers is bothered by a fatigue fracture.

But the Crimson is also having injury problems. Barker, Brokaw, and New all missed the last meet because of ailments, and Mike Koerner is out indefinitely.