Parking Spaces Still in Demand

Despite threats of a boycott, most Harvard faculty and staff appear to be complying with new parking regulations which went into effect Monday.

The new regulations require faculty members and employees to pay from $10 to $90 annually for stickers that will entitle them to use parking spaces.

According to James T. Sullivan, University parking manager, there may not be enough permits for everyone who is willing to pay the fees. A total of 4800 parking spaces is available for students, faculty, and staff, and as many as 5500 to 6000 people may want parking permits.

Donald Berry, a spokesman for the Allied Crafts Maintenance Council, which represents Harvard employees, did not comment when asked how employees were reacting to the new parking regulations.

The Council had been asking employees to disregard the new regulations. It hoped to use the new fees as an issue for future contract negotiations, according to James A. Damery, Secretary-Treasurer of the Painters' Council.

Cars without stickers will be ticketed and fined $10 for each offense after the first two.