The Mail THE CASE OF CHEYNEY RY AN

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Two weeks ago Cheyney Ryan was arrested by ten plainclothes policemen on a complaint of trespassing made by Harvard. He is to be tried in the third district court (3rd St. in East Cambridge) at 9 a. m. on Friday, October 30. He faces two months in jail and a $200 fine.

Last fall Cheyney and seventeen other students were expelled from Harvard for action in an antiracism campaign against the pay differential between painters and painters' helpers. Harvard sent these students a letter forbidding them from appearing on Harvard property without explicit authorization.

Following the invasion of Cambodia last spring students demonstrated against Harvard's involvement in the war, Harvard's unjust employment practices, and the use of the CRR against students opposing the war and racism. Harvard pressed trespass charges against Cheney and three others who participated in these demonstrations on the ground that they were present on Harvard property.

Now, five months after the demonstration, they have arrested Cheyney. As a result of this selective and delayed action against individuals, many students who have engaged in political actions like Cheney's are made to face the possibility of prosecution at any time. As these students must be aware, this possibility is greater if they engage in further political actions of the same sort. What Harvard has done constitutes and attempt to repress activists and intimidate others from like actions. We oppose this repression.

We therefore demand that charges he dropped immediately against Cheyney and the three other students and that Harvard end its political repression of the movement against the war and racism.

In case the charges are not dropped, we strongly urge members of the Harvard community to attend the trial.

Allen Schmidt, Associate Director, Laboratory for Computer Graphics

William Waontz, Professor, Department of City and Regional Planning, GSD

James R. Kurth, Assistant Professor of Government Michael Mostoller, Assistant Professor of Architecture Richard McCray, Assistant Professor of Astronomy I. J. Danziger, Associate Professor of Astronomy Hilary Putnam, Professor of Philosophy

Richard Boyd, Assistant Professor of Philosophy