In Its First Match This Fall Rugby Club Faces Rutgers

A seasoned Harvard Rugby Club opens its fall schedule this morning against Rutgers with sights set on the Eastern Rugby League and Ivy League titles.

Many of the ruggers are playing their fourth season together and experience and finesse should provide the edge for Harvard against what club president Greg Sandomirsky describes as a "tough but unskillful" Rutgers side. The "A" team plays at 11 a.m. behind the bubble, immediately following the "B" contest at 10.

Having compiled a 4-4 record last fall, the Harvard side is one of the most promising in several years. The squad is strengthened by the addition of two exfootball players and two varsity lacrosse players, Bucky Hayes and Phil Zuckerman.

Sandomirsky is set to start at fly half today, and co-captain Phil Ordway joins him in the backfield along with halfbacks Hayes and Hal Clark, wings Zuckerman and sophomore Ed Banner, and scrum half Gary Latz, another sophomore.

The other co-captain, second year law student Eric Henrikson, directs the attack from his second row position. Lynn Coe is the other second row forward.

The remainder of the Crimson offense consists of props Mike Machan and Lee Sheehy, hooker Lynn Coe, lock George Kyle or possibly John the Baptist, and wing forwards Paul Rippun and John O'Grady, the two ex-gridders.

M.I.T. Demolished

The ruggers demolished M.I.T. in a pre-season scrimmage. 23-3, but expect stiffer competition today. Ordway said yesterday that the team showed potential in the M.I.T. scrimmage and that "we have the material to go all the way."

No one's going anywhere, however, unless the club manages to scrape up some collateral in the near future. Unfunded by the University, a-mixer next Friday night in Mem Hall is the team's only source of revenue.