Nixon, Campaigning in California, Denounces 'Condoners' of Violence

By Bruce E. Johnson

Addressing a closely-guarded Republican rally last night in Anaheim, Calif., President Nixon called on American voters to reject candidates who have condoned or excused violence by opposing his Congressional programs, "so that the wave of crime does not become the wave of the future."

Nixon, who described to his audience the "violent demonstration" of rocks, bottles, and bricks that greeted his appearance the previous evening in San Jose, declared that the radical few "are not the majority of American youth today and they will not be the leaders of tomorrow."

In Chicago, Vice President Agnew declared that such demonstrators were "garbage" which should be separated from the rest of society by electing Administration-favored, law-and-order candidates.

The President's speech, which was telecast on a delayed basis by the Republican National Committee, was periodically interrupted by frenzied applause from the 8000 Republican partisans filling the Anaheim Convention Center to hear Nixon support the campaigns of Governor Ronald Reagan and Senator George Murphy (R-Calif.).

Although conceding that "everybody is against crime," Nixon struck hard at his ideological opponents in Congress who, he said, were stalling his efforts to combat "permissiveness" and "crime." "It is time for the great Silent Majority of Americans to stand up and be counted," he said.