Soccer Team Must Fend Off Penn

By Robert W. Gerlach

One year ago two undefeated soccer teams, Harvard and Penn-ranked third and fourth in the nation respectively-met before 5000 faus at Franklin Field for the Ivy League championship.

Penn dominated the midfield play of the game with a precise, short-passing attack, but the Crimson combined for three goals in a five-minute span of the second period for a 3-1 victory.

At 10:30 a.m. today the Quakers will be seeking revenge for that loss on the Business School Field. Penn has been tied twice in Ivy competition this fall, but a victory today would pull the Quakers even with the first-place Crimson.

Although only 4-1-2 this year, Penn is coming off a very strong 5-1 triumph over Princeton. In that game, the Quakers scored four quick goals and coasted to victory. Penn outshot the Tigers, 38-15, indicating the one-sidedness of the match.

Harvard, on the other hand, is coming off a very poor showing against weak Tufts. "We only played about 15 minutes of soccer," coach Bruce Munro said of the 4-1 win. "That was enough to get by Tufts, but today we'll need an all-out effort."

Penn is still as strong as last year's squad, a team that made it to the quarterfinals of the NCAA before being eliminated in a four-overtime game with Maryland.

The Quakers' strength is defense. Starting in goal is Alex Spector, who gave up only two goals in four games last year and has a one-goal average this season. On the fullback line, Penn has Art Swanson, a starter for three years and second team All-Ivy; John Vroman, co-captain and All-Ivy; and sophomore Bill Straub. Straub's specialty is scoring goals with headshots on cornerkicks.

Halfback Strength

Penn lost its entire halfback line through graduation, but sophomores Chris Pippin and Mike Copple have turned in excellent performances all year. Munro's scouting reports indicate that the halfback line may now be the Quakers' greatest asset.

Until the Princeton game, Penn's difficulty had been scoring. The Quakers have their entire forward line back, including second-team All-American Stan Startzell and inside right Tom Liebermann, who led the team last year with 12 goals.

Liebermann and Startzell combine on the inside to create one of the most dangerous tandems in the nation. In its only loss, Penn was stymied when Navy put its entire halfback line into the penalty area to cover the inside forwards.

Harvard does not plan any-changes for the Quaker attack. "They may be strong up the middle, but so are we," Munro said. "I have complete confidence in Chris Wilmot."

In several games Penn coach Bob Seddon has moved Startzell and Liebermann to the outside when he feels the wings are more vulnerable. With Wilmot, the Crimson has been particularly strong in the middle, so Penn may shuffle its line during the game.

In all of its wins, Penn has started fast and scored early in the first period. When the Quakers fell behind, as they did against Cornell and Navy, they never caught up. Therefore, the first period in today's game may be a good indication of the direction of the game.

It's My Party

Harvard should have an advantage at the start because of the home field factor. Penn is accustomed to playing night games on the astroturf of Franklin Field. But even more than the turf, Franklin Field is the minimum 65-foot width while the Business School Field is the maximum 75 feet wide.

Since both teams are strong at center fullback, Harvard's experience at using the full width of the field could be a significant advantage. "I'm sure it will give us a real boost," Munro said.

One point to the Crimson's disfavor is that Emmanuel Ekkama has been sidelined all week with an injured ankle. If Ekkama plays, the Crimson's midfield game will be greatly strengthened.

But the deciding factor in today's game will probably be the aggressiveness of each team. Although it has lost, Penn is keying on this game to turn its season around.

"The last two years we've had too much glory too soon," co-captain Vroman has said. "We've started strong and faded in the end. This way we should peak towards the end of the season-just about in time for Harvard."

"It was hard to get excited about Tufts," Munro said, "but this game will be a lot different."