Crimson Booters Open Season Today; Challenge Amherst With New Offense

By Robert W. Gerlach

"Theoretically, the 4-4-2 system is supposed to cut, down on your scoring potential," Crimson soccer coach Bruce Munro explained. "But with the boys we've got, who can tell?"

Having annihilated three preseason opponents by a composite score of 16-1, Harvard's explosive forward line has given no indication of being cramped by the 4-4-2. When the Crimson opens its season against Amberst this afternoon at 3 p.m. on the Business School field, the Harvard attack should have its easiest afternoon of the fall.

Last year's varsity boaters outscored the opposition 52-9 in posting a 14-1 record. Much of the scoring credit went to two Gambian forwards, Solomon Gomez and Charlie Thomas. Together, the two wings combined for 30 goals and 12 assists.

This season as the two lone strikers on the Harvard 4-4-2, Gomez and Thomas were expected to be slightly less volatile. But against Lindenhurst the strikers combined for three goals before the Long Island team had even worked up a sweat.

"Our penetration was excellent," Munro said. "Gomez and Thomas were in position throughout the game, and Peter Bogovich and Phil Kydes fed them very well."

Amherst's only hope is that the Crimson will be concentrating on an important game Friday with Columbia. But Munro said that the possibility of lackadaisical play today was very slim. "We're hungry for a real game," he said. "It's been an awfully long fall practice and I know the boys are anxious to get out and show their stuff."

Amherst Attack

Amherst uses a 4-3-3 attack which relies on long passes up the wings and deep into the corners. Penn used this strategy last year against the Crimson and held Harvard in check for the first half. Unfortunately for Amherst, the Jeffs do not have the Quakers' individual talent.

The only new face in the Harvard lineup is left halfback Emmanuel Ekkama. Munro has been extremely pleased with the sophomore's development this fall, referring to Ekkama as "a tower of strength on the halfback line."

Senior goalie Bill Meyers, who registered ten shutouts in 15 games last year, has been sidelined for over a week with a broken finger. If he is ready, he will start today in goal. Shep Messing may replace Mayers at any time during the game.