NAC, New University Conference Will Hold Pre-Election Teach-Ins

A restructured November Action Coalition (NAC) announced plans yesterday for a series of pre-election teach-ins in the Boston area designed "to discuss the role of electoral politics in the anti-war movement and to suggest alternatives."

"We feel that the political system is designed to serve the social system and is incapable of transforming it, or itself," a NAC spokesman said yesterday. "We failed to demonstrate these things last spring when we should have. We would like the chance to do so now."

Not Cambridge

Colleges in Lawrence, Lowell, Worcester, Lynn and Boston have teach-ins scheduled. Nothing is scheduled for the Cambridge area. "We tried to concentrate on the working class areas and avoid the elitist schools," the NAC spokesman explained.

NAC has undergone major structural changes from the large, centralized group that sponsored last spring's TDA (the Day After-after the Chicago 7 trial) and April 15 Harvard Square marches. Most of its members now work in small political collectives scattered around the Boston area. The teach-ins represent the first major activity sponsored by all the collectives.

M.I.T.

The planned NAC teach-ins are an outgrowth of a series of six Thursday night forums at M.I.T. titled, "The Peace Games Are Over: Electoral Politics and Reality." The New University Conference, which includes M.I.T. faculty members Noam Chomsky and Carl Oglesby, sponsors the series, now in its third week.

The third forum, on "Imperialism: Outside and In," is at 8 p.m. tonight, in Romm 54.100. Earth Sciences Bldg. at M.I.T., and will feature an unreleased film commissioned by National Educational Television, titled "Who Invited US?" Arthur MacEwan, assistant professor of Economics, will speak.

The M.I.T. weekly series will close on Oct. 27 with a meeting with the Rev. Robert F. Drinan, peace candidate for Congress in the 3rd District.