Singapore Leader Arrives at Harvard

Lee Kwan Yew, Prime Minister of Singapore. has returned to Harvard as a Fellow of the Institute of Politics of the Kennedy School of Government.

Lee, who spent six weeks here as a guest of the Institute of Politics in 1968, will meet informally with faculty and students during his two week stay. He is living in Eliot House.

"When Mr. Lee was here two years ago, the understanding at that time was that he couldn't stay long, but that he would come back," Richard E. Ncustadt, director of the Institute of Politics, said.

"Right now, however, he's pretty tired and will rest for a few days," he added.

Guards

Although his stay is, in Ncustadt's words, "a purely private visit," Lee, a head of state, will be heavily guarded by the State Department's Division of Protective Security.

Armed guards are stationed near the superintendent's office at the entrance to Eliot House and in the stairway leading to Lee's suite 24 hours a day. The University Police also are providing secure.

ity for the Prime Minister, who lived in Eliot House during his stay in 1968.

During his last stay at Harvard, Lee said he wanted to learn more about "the development of our [Singapore's] economy, the security of our area, and what that means in terms of regional and sub-regional development and the growth of new nation states and how they become modernized communities."