Eliot Gridders Sweep House Football Title

Eliot House waltzed in the back door yesterday afternoon to claim the intramural tackle football championship with a 6-1-1 season record.

While Eliot was toying its way past hapless Quincy in a 12-0 yawner, surprising Mather House upended Lowell, 20-0, to claim second place and knock Lowell out of a tie for first and into a tie for third.

Quarterback Mike Alexander passed for two first-half touchdowns in leading the Eliot gridders to the triumph. A long aerial to Art Serrano netted the first tally midway through the first period, as the winners quickly established their game plan. Late in the first half Dick Manny hauled in a screen pass from Alexander and bolted 15 yards for the score.

Mather-Lowell

The Mather-Lowell contest also saw all the scoring done in the first half, as Mather's "expansion club" comprised mainly of sophomores picked up three quick TD's, all on the ground.

Eliot had been rated as an early preseason favorite, and its record-marred only by a loss to Lowell and a tie with Leverett-came as no surprise. Mather, on the other hand, opened the season with a 16-0 loss to Eliot and then fell 2-0 to Quincy, before the squad began to jell.

The final play of the game saw Lowell's Jack Dalton streak into the clear to run under a long bomb, with the potential shutout-avoiding score. Looking back over his shoulder to spot the incoming pigskin, Dalton crumpled to the turf after smashing full steam into the goalpost. He dropped the pass. "I was so heated up over the game," he says, "that I didn't even feel a thing. At least not until I was lying on the trainer's table to get the X-rays."

Meanwhile, on the neighboring field, Lowell's soccer team was piling up a 6-1 triumph over the Quincy booters to wrap up a perfect 8-0 record and claim the IM soccer title.

Lowell's win came on the strength of five first-half goals and a stingy defense. Teddy Voorhees, John Lewis, and Eric Pope each contributed two goals to the Lowell offensive attack.