Free School In Cambridge Closes Doors Harvard Using Land To Construct Housing

The Cambridge Free School, which has provided tuition-free, personal education for community children since the fall of 1968, has ceased operation.

The closing, which occurred three weeks ago, is directly related to Harvard's purchase of the tract of land located on the corner of Howard and River Streets last September. The land is slated to be used for the construction of low-income housing.

"We were in the process of renovating the dwelling at 7 Howard Street for expansion, when the sale was made," Renee Davis, co-director of the school, said yesterday. The buildings are slated for demolition.

Donald G. Moulton, Harvard's coordinator for community affairs, said that "there was really no way for this to be avoided; we are trying to get the housing project on the road." He indicated that provision will be made in the plans for accommodation of the free school.

Settled

Asked whether or not Harvard had considered any other sites for the housing project, Moulton said, "We are settled on this site, there's no reason to look elsewhere."

The Free School had planned to expand this year to provide for over 65 students. Funding had been worked out between M.I.T. and the Free School. In return for the establishment of a "drop-in" center to be manned by students for street people, M.I.T. would provide between $10,000 and $20,000 towards rent and renovation.

The school started with an enrollment of about 35 students in 1968, ranging in age from three to six years old. Teachers were primarily members of the community, though Harvard graduate students often taught there.