Talking to the Man 10,000 Male Chauvinists of Harvard

By Carol R. Sternhell

1) "Who ever saw a more stirring exhibition of sheer manliness and skill on the part of young people than that put on by our football team in the closing minutes of its final game of this past fall? Here was at last one event in which all Harvard men could unite in enthusiasm and lifting of spirit!" - President Pusey, in his Annual Report to the Board of Overseers, Jan. 1970.

2) "They were so insolent, the worst of the bunch. At least you have to respect the boys just a little since they have something real riding on this. The thing in Vietnam for many of them, and if they get chucked out for this their chances of being sent there are far greater. But if the girls get heaved, they'll just go off to secretarial school." - F. Skiddy von Stade, dean of Freshmen, in the Oct. 12, 1969, Boston Globe about the 1969 strike.

3) "But there's a long tradition of male superiority." - J. Boyd Britton, administrative vice-president of Radcliffe, during a Nov. 26, 1969 demonstration protesting the pay differential between male and female cooks at Radcliffe.

4) "Call this male chauvinist if you like-there are many people here who would be unhappy to see the number of men reduced." - President Pusey, Spring 1970.

5) "Better buy one before the mixers. All the girls in Boston are dying to go to bed with a Harvard man." - an HSA ring salesman.

6) "There is no design on anyone's part at the UHS to be partial to one sex or the other. I'm a bit partial to women myself, being a man." Dana L. Farnsworth, head of Harvard Health Services, status of women hearings, Nov. 6, 1970.

7) "But to do that [increase female enrollment] we would have to cut down the number of qualified people." Qualified men, you mean? "Yes, qualified people ." - President Puscy, meeting with a delegation from NOW, Feb. 1970.

8) "Wow, it's great! Now I'll have something to look forward to on next year's menu." - a Harvard freshman upon learning that the House dining halls would be open to women at breakfast.

9) "Would increased enrollment of women be a fairer policy? If the question was taken to its logical conclusion, than all identifiable groups should receive representation proportionate just to their numbers at large and not to the ability and potential of the individual applicants within a group, race, or area." - Chase N. Peterson, dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, in Feb. report on merger.

10) 'If we administered and supervised contraceptives, we would be saying it was right." - Farnsworth, to Mar. 31, 1967 CRIMSON.

11) "As a rule of thumb, girls carrying over 15 pounds of books are law students and girls with false eyelashes are interlopers from Lesley College. . . . Don't be snobbish! perfectly nice girls go to Simmons, Bradford Jr. College, etc. . . ." - Unofficial Guide to Graduate Life at Harvard.

12) "We have in Cambridge a sweet, sound every-day college for girls; and that college is beginning to get a good every-day endowment. In that endowment lies today the hopes of those who would still preserve unimpaired the almost unbroken tradition of Harvard virility." - Barrett Wendell of the Faculty Committee on Relations with Radcliffe College, 1899.

13) "The Quad will have to be architecturally brought up to snuff . . . . It's just not fair to send Harvard men up there." - Jerome Kagan, professor of Development Psychology, talking about the condition of Radcliffe dorms during a discussion of coed housing, Mar. 3, 1970.

14) "Quite simply, I do not see highly educated women making startling strides in contributing to our society in the foreseeable future. They are not, in my opinion, going to stop getting married and/or having children. They will fail in their present role as women if they do." - von Stade, in Aug. 25, 1969 letter.