Quincy Passes Referendum For Another CRR Election

Quincy House voted this week to invalidate last month's election of the House representative to the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities because of procedural errors made by the House Committee in the election. But despite yesterday's final vote of 157 to 110 to hold another referendum on whether to elect a representative to the CRR, the issue will be decided by the House Committee on Monday.

The Quincy constitution requires that over 50 per cent of the House (210 of 419 members) must vote the same on an issue for the decision to bind the House Committee. A resolution to change the rule for yesterday's election was voted down by the Committee last Monday.

Vote to Be Ignored?

Barbara B. Winter '72, a member of the Committee. said "I think today's vote will be disregarded by the Committee." Another member of the Committee, Richard A. Otness '71, agreed. saying, "I personally feel that the constitution dictates we stick with the representative we have, although I want to talk with some others before making my final decision."

In a meeting two weeks ago the Committee voted against a proposal by Arthur E. Lasky '72 to invalidate the election of Frederick D. Barton '71. Only 150 votes were cast in that election because of a boycott organized by Lasky. The House Committee rejected Lasky's motion because they wanted to consider other matters before the Committee and felt that they should go along with the vote of the House.

Should Be Followed

Barton said after the election, "I think this is a substantial vote and that the Committee should follow it. I will attend Monday's meeting to urge them to do so."

Lasky, a member of the special election committee for yesterday's voting, said. "I am pleased with the vote and I hope the Committee will consider it the view of the House."