Injuries Hurt Yale Bulldogs

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 16-Yale football coach Carm Cozza did not seem altogether overjoyed following his team's 27-22 victory over Princeton last Saturday in New Haven.

With four starters already on the bench with injuries, it was no doubt discouraging to see four more limp off the file

Today, Cozza began to prepare the Elis for any number of situations which might develop by Saturday's meeting with the Crimson in Harvard Stadium.

Quarterback Joe Massey was one of those who sat out the Princeton game. The decision not to use him came just before game time when he was unable to pivot on his injured leg.

In the third period, Chuck Sizemore, Massey's replacement, left the game with a bruised arm, then returned in the fourth quarter only to injure his ankle. Moments later, Yale's sophomore halfback Dick Jauron retired with a twisted knee. Both expect to be ready Saturday.

Cozza's biggest problem now is how to go about preparing for Harvard, uncertain that Massey will be healed in time for the game. Massey, a senior, is just two yards away from Brian Dowling's career passing mark and wants badly to close out his career against the Crimson.

"If Joe can possibly play Saturday," Cozza said, "he'll be our starting quarterback. He deserves that much."

Other Eli starters coming off injuries are tight end Rich Maher, middle guard Rich Lolotai, and defensive back Dave Bliss, who were felled against Princeton, and safety Dave Holahan, wingback Bob Milligan and guard Bob Leyen, who sat out last weekend.

Princeton coach Jake McCandless, who said after the Tigers' loss to Harvard that it was the first time in his career that one of his teams had lost a game they should have won, unhesitatingly rated Yale over the Crimson.

"Our loss to Harvard was personally a very discouraging, one," he said, "I definitely think Yale is the better team."