Memories of '68 Tie Game Haunt Yale Football Team

By Robert Decherd

(Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 17-There is a quiet anticipation in New Haven today as the Yale football team and its supporters prepare to return Saturday to Cambridge, the scene of the 1968 infamous 29-29 tie.

Around the Yale campus the 1968 game is referred to, if at all, as the Elis' "unhappy tie" or simply as a "loss." The seniors on the Yale team were sophomores that year, and last season's 7-0 win in the Yale Bowl has not completely erased memories of Harvard's uncanny comeback.

Yale's injury woes have apparently improved, although Yale coach Carmen Cozza is not saying much about which starters have recovered from their assorted ailments. After being foxed by Princeton coach Jake McCandless-who kept secret Hank Bjorklund's disabling injury until game time Saturday-Cozza may feel it is expedient to keep the Crimson guessing.

This afternoon Joe Massey-whose condition is perhaps the Elis' biggest worry-was running well in practice. Backup quarterback Chuck Sizemore and halfback Dick Jauron sustained minor injuries against Princeton, but both practiced today. Several other battered starters were back at full speed today.

No Classes Friday

There are no classes here Friday and many people are taking advantage of the opportunity to extend Thanksgiving vacation. But the 1968 game lingers in the minds of the Yale faithful, and you can bet they'll be in Cambridge Saturday.

Last weekend's Princeton game in the Yale Bowl served only to bolster the aura surrounding the 29-29 tie as erratic. Tiger quarterback Rod Plummer came off the bench in the second quarter and stirred a Princeton comeback that fell short in the dying moments, 27-22.

As in '68, Yale led by two touchdowns at the half. Then when Princeton had narrowed the lead to five points with two-and-a-half minutes remaining, the Yale contingent cringed as a Tiger on-side kick bounded toward the Eli front line. This time, Bruce Michel caught the ball.

The agony was not over though, as Yale was forced to punt one more time. Naturally there were 42 seconds left to play in the game.

And paranoia still flourishes in New Haven.