School Committee Divided Over Frisoli Appointment

The appointment of Frank Frisoli '35 as permanent Superintendent of the Cambridge City Schools was again deferred last night in another raucous session of the Cambridge School Committee.

Committeeman James Fitzgerald's motion to give the post permanently to Frisoli, who has been the acting Superintendent since the resignation of Edward Conley last September 1, failed at the previous committee meeting by 3-3 draw, with one member abstaining. Last night's motion was to reconsider.

More than 50 parents vehemently opposed Frisoli's appointment on the grounds that the School Committee was reneging on its promise last June to conduct a nation-wide search for a new Superintendent.

Advertisements

Advertisements were run in major newspapers and journals, and over 100 applications have been received to date, none of which has been reviewed. "All we are really demanding," said Fred Stone, one of the parents, "is ethical behavior from the School Committee."

Members of the Cambridge Teachers Association, who seemed to form the largest single group present, enthusiastically favored Frisoli's immediate appointment. When Frisoli brought the evening to a tumultuous climax by shouting his resignation and stomping away, most of the older teachers stormed after him.

Consideration of Frisoli's appointment will continue at 7:30 p. m. Thursday evening at the School Committee Office, 1700 Cambridge Street.