Booters Carry 10-0 Record Against Upset - Minded Yale

By Robert W.gerlach

Harvard's varsity soccer team will be seeking its second consecutive undefeated Ivy League season this afternoon when the Crimson meets Yale at 2 p.m. on the Business School Field.

Although Harvard must be rated a heavy statistical favorite over the Bulldogs, Yale will enter the game with a significant psychological advantage. Harvard, 10-0 for the year and looking ahead to the NCAA regional finals against Brown next Tuesday, has nothing to lose in today's match. The Crimson clinched the Ivy championship with a win against Brown, 2-1, -last week.

Yale, however, could salvage its whole season today with a victory against a team ranked third in the nation. The Bulldogs have had a frustrating season, losing seven of their nine defeats by one goal margins.

Poor Prospects

Coach Hubert Vogelsinger predicted at the beginning of the year that his team wouldn't win a game. He said this season would be a "rebuilding year around a nucleus of sophomores." Having already won four games, Yale's sophomores would carry tremendous momentum into next fall's training camp with a Harvard defeat today.

Crimson coach Bruce Munro is not going to water down his attack for today's match. He has decided to start Fullback Chris Wilmot, who is still nursing a sore ankle, and he is not planning to make any experiments during the course of the game.

No Blow

"You don't ever want to blow a Yale game," Munro said. "We'll start our best line-up and we'll substitute only in the event of injuries." If Harvard builds a commanding lead, Munro may use Chris Ferner or Emmanuel Ekama in place of Wilmot.

Munro feels he has found the reason for the Crimson's slow start in almost every game this fall. "I noticed against W.P.I. that our halfbacks play very defensively in the opening ten minutes," he said. "They lay back to see if the opposition is going to try to work the ball through them or try to loft a pass over their heads. I've told them to be more aggressive now."

The Crimson tried another experiment against W.P.I. to develop the offensive thrust of the halfback line. Pete Bogovich moved back to a center halfback position and sophomore Demetrio Meana and Chris Papagianis entered the game at wing. Munro felt the shift gave the Crimson a more aggressive attack.

Impotence

The Bulldogs have also suffered from an impotent attack. Only sophomore John Clark (7) and Eric Anderson (2) have scored more than a single goal all season. Yale has been shutout five times and has scored only once in six more games.

Goalie Ken Pasternak has kept the Elis in contention in many games this fall. Pasternak has three shutouts and a 1.5 goal average. Yale has lost four games, 1-0.

Vogelsinger spent most of last week running his team through shooting drills, and the Bulldogs responded with a 3-0 victory over Princeton.