Muskie Attacks Smear Tactics, Seeks "Politics of Trust"

By Frank Rich

One of the most gruesome political campaigns since World War II ended on a note of high drama last night as Sen. Edmund Muskie (D-Maine) pleaded with a nationwide television audience to vote according to "the politics of trust" rather than the "politics of fear."

Muskie's impassioned 15-minute address followed an equal-length rebroadcast of President Nixon's Saturday night speech in Phoenix, Ariz., in which the president asked voters to elect Congressional candidates who would draw the line against demonstrators he labeled "thugs."

Speaking from his Maine home, Muskie described the Republicans' "politics of fear" as saying, "You are encircled by monstrous dangers. Give up power over your freedom so we may protect you."

The Democrats' "politics of trust," he added, says that "the world is a baffling and hazardous place, but it can be shaped to the will of men."

Muskie said that Republican leaders "imply that Democratic candidates . . . actually favor violence and champion the wrongdoer."

"That is lie," he went on, in a slow and forceful voice of force. "And the American people know it is a lie."

At stake in today's off-year election are 35 Senate seats, 35 Governorships, and the 435 seats in the House of Representatives. The Democrats currently control both the Senate and the House.

Throughout the campaign, Nixon and Vice-President Agnew have stressed "law and order" issues-attempting to link so-called "radiclib" Democratic candidates with crime and student protests. Meanwhile, Democrats have been blaming the sagging economy on Republican fiscal policies.

Until last week, the Democrats' strategy seemed to be the more successful. But, Thursday night, protestors in San Jose, apparently taunted by the President, pelted his motorcade with eggs and rocks.

Over the weekend, the President has attempted to capitalize on this incident in his speeches and political broadcasts. Vice-President Agnew has suggested that voting for Republican Senatorial candidates will give the White House a mandate for separating the protestors, whom he called "garbage," from society.

While it is highly unlikely that the Republicans will gain a majority in either house today, the results of certain key Senate races will indicate thesuccess of the Administration's strategy. Among the races to watch are:

Indiana, where conservative Nixon man Richard Roudebush is challenging the liberal Democratic incumbent, Vance Hartke.

California, where moderate Democrat John Tunney is expected to win the seat currently occupied by conservative George Murphy.

Ohio, where Nixon's last-minute tactics could sway a tight race between liberal Democrat Howard Metzenbaum and Republican Robert Taft Jr.

Tennessee, where liberal Democrat Albert Gore is expected to lose to William Brock, a major beneficiary of the Republican "Southern Strategy"; an upset victory for Gore could indicate a backlash against the recent extremes of the Republican campaign.

New York, where Agnew's attacks on incumbent liberal Republican Charles Goodell have split the liberal vote between him and Democrat Richard Ottinger, possibly enabling Conservative James Buckley to win.

Big Win

In Massachusetts, Senator Edward Kennedy is expected to win easily over Republican challenger Josiah Spaulding, although it is generally conceded that Kennedy's plurality cannot be smaller than 60 per cent if he is to have a political future outside the state.

Republican Governor Francis Sargent is expected to turn back a challenge by Boston Mayor Kevin White. In House races, interest is concentrated on the races of conservative Democrat Louise Day Hicks in the ninth district and liberal Democrat Robert Drinan in the third.