Varsity Icemen Top St. Nicks; Three Lines Score in 8-2 Win

By Bradford B. Kopp

Harvard's varsity hockey team opened its season with an 8-2 walloping of a weak St. Nicholas Hockey Club team in an exhibition game Saturday night at Watson Rink.

The Crimson scored two goals in the first two minutes of play and went on to demonstrate a crisp passing game that shredded the St. Nick defense. Only brilliant work by former Harvard All-Ivy goaltender Godfrey Wood '64 kept the score as close as it was.

Harvard's all-sophomore line of Bob MacManama, Bill Corkery and Dave Hynes scored three goals in the first ten minutes of play. But even more important, the junior line of Tom Paul, Bob Havern and Leif Rosenberger proved- with its three tallies- that the Crimson is going to have a potent one-two-three scoring punch.

Harvard's first line managed only one goal, an unassisted score by captain Joe Cavanagh, but St. Nick kept Cavanagh double-covered and matched its best line against the Cavanagh-Steve Owen Dan DeMichele trio.

Ho-Ho-Ho

St. Nick is a group of college alumni based in the New York City area. The club brought only three lines and two pairs of defense-men and was obviously out-manned by Harvard, which played four lines and three pairs. 1970 Harvard captain Chris Gurry turned in a strong defensive performance for St. Nick, while former Harvard captain Jack Garrity centered the second line.

Harvard opened the scoring at 1:31 when Rosenberger and Paul set up Havern and 24 seconds later Hynes scored on a pass from Corkery. At 7:57 Hynes scored again and was followed by MacManama 19 seconds later. With a 4-0 lead, the Crimson coasted home the rest of the game.

Cooney Berates

Beautiful goaltending by Wood and the Crimson's Bruce Durno produced a scoreless second period. After the period, Cooney Weiland berated his team for not hitting, and when the third period started, the Crimson retaliated with four quick goals.

Cavanagh, with Harvard a man down, beat Wood on a ten-foot slapshot, then Rosenberger collected his second goal. After St. Nick scored. Bobby Muse's screaming slapshot from the blue line went by the screened Wood. Havern finished the scoring on Paul's third assist of the night.