Eliot Grid Squad Focuses on Title

Eliot House's intramural football squad has vaulted into first place, with just one week of play remaining in the league, following a 12-6 victory over Kirkland House.

In the game, played Thursday. Eliot scored early in the first period on a disputed 35-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Mike Alexander to junior Art Serrano. Serrano caught the pass in the end zone but then fumbled. The referee ruled he had possession in the end zone and awarded Eliot the score.

The game remained 6-0 until early in the fourth period when Eliot scored on a 15-yard screen pass from Alexander to senior Dick M?ny. Kirkland scored later in the quarter on a quarterback sneak by senior Peter Bernhard. The score was set up by a 40-yard end run by junior Delray Maughan.

Undefeated Eliot is now 5-0-1 and must beat Lowell House, 4-1-1, on Monday to clinch the title. Kirkland now has a 4-1-1 record.

Meanwhile, Anderson had opened a wide lead and looked extremely comfortable. Alexander had moved past Spengler into second, and Spengler feared that Cornell might win.

But at the foot of Cemetery Hill-the four-mile mark-McCurdy shouted an optimistic report to Spengler. Encouraged, he went right by Alexander on the hill.

The finishes for Harvard were: 2) Spengler, 7) Quirk, 9) Barker, 11) Seals, and 17) Connolly. Only 57 seconds separated them.